Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dairy Detox - Read at your own risk

Default My Dairy Detox - Read at your own risk

I thought I would start a thread so I can 'blog' my dairy detoxification.

Basically, while I have seen a doctor or had tests done yet, I have discussed it with a pharmacist and I have their backing and advice.

I did a bit of research on the internet and found out some interesting things:

* In general, Westerners are the only people who tend to drink milk
    * Westerners are also the only mammals who drink milk after infancy
    * A high number of people are intollerant to dairy because its not meant to be part of our diet
    * A high number of people dont know they are intollerant because they expect the symptoms to be bloating and stomach cramps
    * Cows dairy actually contains a minute amount of morphine through a chemical reaction in the cows stomach that produces the addictive drug
    * The hormones that are given to the cows so that they give more milk pass through into the milk
    * Skim milk is actually worse than full fat, if you have to drink milk, UHT is best to avoid nasties, or even unhomogenised - which is hard to find
    * Goats milk isnt much better than cows

Some of the symptoms of 'dairy allergy' or 'dairy intollerance' include: Ecxema, Acne, Blocked Sinuses, Headaches...and many more

So with this research in hand, on Monday 10th August, I went off dairy! Armed with a list of sources for calcium (broccoli, almonds, sardines, green leafy vegies...) and protein (meat and fish, nuts, beans...), a bottle of calcium suppliments, some inner health plus (as we get our good gut flora from dairy) I started my challenge:

Day One:
    All positive as I was on a high from the benefits I would recieve (not only do I get bad skin which seems to correlate with my milk consumption, I also have terrible sinuses and would like to avoid heyfever). I had my first black cup of tea - keeping in mind tea is my biggest vice, it was surprisingly good. Day one was a good day.

Day Two:
    Got a bit sad about milk chocolate and cheese! As a fan of Sweet William carob chocolate, I set my mind at ease! As far as cheese goes, I found a recipe for dairy free/soy free cheese. I am yet to try the recipe but I will some day soon. I went out for dinner and a lot of the menu had dairy which was a little sad. Day two was not terrible.

Day Three:
    Bit the bullet and had a soy hot chocolate - it wasnt terrible. Didnt think until later on that the chocolate powder contained dairy...whoops! Still feeling good though and can already see an improvement in my skin - could be coincidental so I try not to celebrate just yet. Bought some Nuttelex as there is a small amount of dairy in my olive oil based spread. Still not braving a milk alternative. Discovery: Some Pataks sauces contain dairy but most dont - they also have a allergy table on the back! Day three, still looking positive.

Day Four:
    I noticed that my Homebrand bread is dairy free, my Homebrand garlic bread is dairy free, the Fantastic stir fry noodles are dairy free! Happy days! I read up about some of the side effects of the detoxification process which list extreme mucus after a few days. I convince myself this wont happen. A stray new pimple shows up, first one since detox started, not impressed. Day four is still ok in the scheme of things.

Day Five:
    I woke up with a bit of a headache and a bit more mucus than usual. I think it wouldnt have happened if I hadnt read the stupid side effects! I believe you can talk yourself into things. Its 10am and I have had an ibuprofen, still feeling a little seedy but mucus seems to have stopped.

I plan on trying some rice, oat or almond milk in the near future, I have heard bad things about the genetic modification of soy and I also know about the chemicals required during growing to keep nasties away from it, not too confident with soy. Will keep everyone updated but I would love some feedback!

B xxx

I can say that almond milk is quite nice - I am having it in my lattes (at the house) and it's good.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, or so they say. I am firmly of the opinion that while it *may* make you stronger, it definitely makes you more cynical.

My skin definately greases up when I consume more than a minimal amount of milk, especially ice cream. It's okay with quality yogurt though.
    Last edited by Thelma; 14-08-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    My pop always said "it is better to wear out than to rust out" - sure, but I want to look good while I'm doing it!

Haha. I am drinking a big Milo while reading this. Interesting read though!!
    "But this head movie makes my eyes rain!"

That all sounds interesting..

Although one thing to note for some people is that many people who have 'issues' with dairy will also have issues with Soy products...

Interesting, but god, I read so much stuff from all different sources, im scared to just breathe these days with all the things we are supposed to do/not supposed to do. Someone told me the other day I should give up caffeine, and she told me that whilst puffing on a ciggie.
    Last edited by BeachPrincess; 14-08-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    By being yourself you are putting something in the world that was not there before

Quote Originally Posted by BeachPrincess View Post
    Interesting, but god, I read so much stuff from all different sources, im scared to just breathe these days with all the things we are supposed to do/not supposed to do. Someone told me the other day I should give up caffeine, and she told me that whilst puffing on a ciggie.

I agree. I think if you are having digestive issues or whatever then it is good to work out what is causing the discomfort and minimise consumption or eliminate it, but if everything is working as it should I personally think it's not good for you to cut out whole food groups.

Yeh I am not one to limit my diet but when you get a face full of pimples from a couple of lattes then you have to re-think things.

Rosie, have you ever cooked with almond milk? As in, used it as a substitute in baking?

Very interesting!

My naturopath's point of view on dairy is that if we consumed milk straight from the cow - it would be fine. She disagrees with all the chemical processes they put it through before we drink it. Hence she's an advocate of (certain) soy brands, rice milk etc.

I don't know how I could ever give up dairy - I love it! Cheese and milk are 2 of my favourite things! I still love drinking a big glass of milk by itself. And coincidentally or not, I have never broken a bone (other than my toe!) my entire life! Same goes for my brother and sister who both also consumed a lot of dairy growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by elmo View Post
    I don't know how I could ever give up dairy - I love it! Cheese and milk are 2 of my favourite things! I still love drinking a big glass of milk by itself. And coincidentally or not, I have never broken a bone (other than my toe!) my entire life! Same goes for my brother and sister who both also consumed a lot of dairy growing up.
    Yes. I agree on all counts (I had 2 small glasses of milk last night, I was craving it like nobody's business!) and I've never broken a bone either.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast