I thought I would start a thread so I can 'blog' my dairy detoxification.
Basically, while I have seen a doctor or had tests done yet, I have discussed it with a pharmacist and I have their backing and advice.
I did a bit of research on the internet and found out some interesting things:
* In general, Westerners are the only people who tend to drink milk
* Westerners are also the only mammals who drink milk after infancy
* A high number of people are intollerant to dairy because its not meant to be part of our diet
* A high number of people dont know they are intollerant because they expect the symptoms to be bloating and stomach cramps
* Cows dairy actually contains a minute amount of morphine through a chemical reaction in the cows stomach that produces the addictive drug
* The hormones that are given to the cows so that they give more milk pass through into the milk
* Skim milk is actually worse than full fat, if you have to drink milk, UHT is best to avoid nasties, or even unhomogenised - which is hard to find
* Goats milk isnt much better than cows
Some of the symptoms of 'dairy allergy' or 'dairy intollerance' include: Ecxema, Acne, Blocked Sinuses, Headaches...and many more
So with this research in hand, on Monday 10th August, I went off dairy! Armed with a list of sources for calcium (broccoli, almonds, sardines, green leafy vegies...) and protein (meat and fish, nuts, beans...), a bottle of calcium suppliments, some inner health plus (as we get our good gut flora from dairy) I started my challenge:
All positive as I was on a high from the benefits I would recieve (not only do I get bad skin which seems to correlate with my milk consumption, I also have terrible sinuses and would like to avoid heyfever). I had my first black cup of tea - keeping in mind tea is my biggest vice, it was surprisingly good. Day one was a good day.
Got a bit sad about milk chocolate and cheese! As a fan of Sweet William carob chocolate, I set my mind at ease! As far as cheese goes, I found a recipe for dairy free/soy free cheese. I am yet to try the recipe but I will some day soon. I went out for dinner and a lot of the menu had dairy which was a little sad. Day two was not terrible.
Bit the bullet and had a soy hot chocolate - it wasnt terrible. Didnt think until later on that the chocolate powder contained dairy...whoops! Still feeling good though and can already see an improvement in my skin - could be coincidental so I try not to celebrate just yet. Bought some Nuttelex as there is a small amount of dairy in my olive oil based spread. Still not braving a milk alternative. Discovery: Some Pataks sauces contain dairy but most dont - they also have a allergy table on the back! Day three, still looking positive.
I noticed that my Homebrand bread is dairy free, my Homebrand garlic bread is dairy free, the Fantastic stir fry noodles are dairy free! Happy days! I read up about some of the side effects of the detoxification process which list extreme mucus after a few days. I convince myself this wont happen. A stray new pimple shows up, first one since detox started, not impressed. Day four is still ok in the scheme of things.
I woke up with a bit of a headache and a bit more mucus than usual. I think it wouldnt have happened if I hadnt read the stupid side effects! I believe you can talk yourself into things. Its 10am and I have had an ibuprofen, still feeling a little seedy but mucus seems to have stopped.
I plan on trying some rice, oat or almond milk in the near future, I have heard bad things about the genetic modification of soy and I also know about the chemicals required during growing to keep nasties away from it, not too confident with soy. Will keep everyone updated but I would love some feedback!