Acne and makeup dilemmas

Acne and makeup dilemmas

Hi All!
I’ve just become a member of this site after seeing it mentioned on Today Tonight the other night. I’m currently in search of the best products I can use on my skin but at the same time I don’t earn a lot of money so I’m also limited on price. I have bad acne on my chin and some on my nose but everywhere else is normal. I’m trying to find the best primer, foundation, concealer, and powder I can use that will help reduce my acne. I also have very pale skin and freckles so I’m not a fan of sheer or light makeup as I like to hide them. I just recently bought Mirenesse Matte Liquid Silk Foundation today so I’m hoping that will help me and I currently use Napoleon Auto Pilot Pre Foundation Primer and I also use a mineral powder. I have also bought the Proactiv Solution to help cleanse my skin however that just dries other parts of my skin out especially my lips. Is there any way where I can get the maximum coverage possible with my makeup without getting the breakouts?

[QUOTE=Cass_Kat;20595]Hi All!
I’ve just become a member of this site after seeing it mentioned on Today Tonight the other night. I’m currently in search of the best products I can use on my skin but at the same time I don’t earn a lot of money so I’m also limited on price. I have bad acne on my chin and some on my nose but everywhere else is normal. I’m trying to find the best primer, foundation, concealer, and powder I can use that will help reduce my acne. I also have very pale skin and freckles so I’m not a fan of sheer or light makeup as I like to hide them. I just recently bought Mirenesse Matte Liquid Silk Foundation today so I’m hoping that will help me and I currently use Napoleon Auto Pilot Pre Foundation Primer and I also use a mineral powder. I have also bought the Proactiv Solution to help cleanse my skin however that just dries other parts of my skin out especially my lips. Is there any way where I can get the maximum coverage possible with my makeup without getting the breakouts?[/QUOTE]

Welcome Cass_Kat! I can sympathise with your dilemna and have found that the Ultraceuticals Mineral Foundation to be the kindest product to my skin. It gives great coverage (I blend the powder on my face with a big powder/bronzer brush then dab over my pimples/other imperfections using the powder still, but with an eye shadow brush. Excellent for covering up blemishes!). The powder allows your skin to breathe and also prevents the horrid oily shine I tend to get around my t-zone. It doesn’t aggravate my breakouts either. You won’t be disapointed with this product I can assure you!!! :hearts:

Have you tried using the Proactiv only as a spot treatment instead of using it all over your face? Just try to avoid using it in areas that it isn’t needed :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=beautyproductjunkie;20597]Welcome Cass_Kat! I can sympathise with your dilemna and have found that the Ultraceuticals Mineral Foundation to be the kindest product to my skin. It gives great coverage (I blend the powder on my face with a big powder/bronzer brush then dab over my pimples/other imperfections using the powder still, but with an eye shadow brush. Excellent for covering up blemishes!). The powder allows your skin to breathe and also prevents the horrid oily shine I tend to get around my t-zone. It doesn’t aggravate my breakouts either. You won’t be disapointed with this product I can assure you!!! :hearts:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your suggestion. I looked up the price of Ultraceuticals Mineral Foundation and it’s not that expensive and costs about the same as the one I have now so I’ll be sure to give this one a go! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Daisy;20599]Have you tried using the Proactiv only as a spot treatment instead of using it all over your face? Just try to avoid using it in areas that it isn’t needed :)[/QUOTE]

At times I tend to use it in areas where it is only needed but it doesn’t seem to make a difference so I get lazy and just use it all over hehe. I’m thinking about stopping my orders of Proactiv as I think I can get better results from something cheaper and a lot more nicer to my skin. Thanks for you suggestion though…I think the key here is to take the time when it comes to skincare…and I’ve learnt that the hard way lol.

[QUOTE=Cass_Kat;20603]At times I tend to use it in areas where it is only needed but it doesn’t seem to make a difference so I get lazy and just use it all over hehe. I’m thinking about stopping my orders of Proactiv as I think I can get better results from something cheaper and a lot more nicer to my skin. Thanks for you suggestion though…I think the key here is to take the time when it comes to skincare…and I’ve learnt that the hard way lol.[/QUOTE]

My bestie tried Proactiv and wasn’t impressed at all, she went back to L’Oreal Pure Zone, a cheap yet effective cleanser, toner and moisturiser line (the toner is alcohol-based so probably best not to use it all over to avoid drying out your skin - just try dabbing it on your spots, perhaps.). I use the cleansers myself and love them.

Edit: Sorry, I just realised this was a post about makeup and not skincare. I don’t have any makeup recs for you except this: whenever possible, go without makeup! It’s a vicious cycle if you don’t let your skin breathe!

[QUOTE=ozkat;20604]My bestie tried Proactiv and wasn’t impressed at all, she went back to L’Oreal Pure Zone, a cheap yet effective cleanser, toner and moisturiser line (the toner is alcohol-based so probably best not to use it all over to avoid drying out your skin - just try dabbing it on your spots, perhaps.). I use the cleansers myself and love them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks ozkat, I’ll give that one a go! Sounds like it will be a lot cheaper for me anyway :slight_smile:

I have used proactiv but only on my chest as i use to have breakouts. I has almost completly stopped since using Proactiv, i think its great but couldnt imagine using it on my face. I can imagine it would be very drying.

There has been quite a response about Proactiv that I created a new thread under skincare. If you have tried Proactiv or know of anyone who has please let me know. Thanks guys! :smiley:

Hi there,

mineral make up is a great option as the girls have suggested.

You may find the ‘ask allison’ section helpful under some of the Acne questions posted, this one for example: http://forum.adorebeauty.com.au/showthread.php?t=1173

also this one: http://forum.adorebeauty.com.au/showthread.php?t=390&page=10

Bloom make blotting papers that can be helpful in keeping your make up looking fresh: http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/additem.asp?idproduct=873

and decleor make some too! : http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/viewitem.asp?idproduct=9495

otherwise I can’t emphasise the importance of skin care… take a look at the links I sent to the forum theads on acne.

xx allison

[QUOTE=Allison (Staff);20796]Hi there,

mineral make up is a great option as the girls have suggested.

You may find the ‘ask allison’ section helpful under some of the Acne questions posted, this one for example: http://forum.adorebeauty.com.au/showthread.php?t=1173

also this one: http://forum.adorebeauty.com.au/showthread.php?t=390&page=10

Bloom make blotting papers that can be helpful in keeping your make up looking fresh: http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/additem.asp?idproduct=873

and decleor make some too! : http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/viewitem.asp?idproduct=9495

otherwise I can’t emphasise the importance of skin care… take a look at the links I sent to the forum theads on acne.

xx allison[/QUOTE]

Thanks Allison! I’ll take a look at the links now! :slight_smile:

You have come to the right place for help with skin care Cass Kat (by the way welcome to the forum). You mentioned that you don’t earn a lot of money, however my advice to you is buy the very best skin care that you can afford. It really is a worthwhile investment.

We are very lucky here on the forum to have Allison and people like Kate and Luisa Brown who are extremely knowledgable in all areas of skincare. I would certainly give brands like Alpha-H and Ultraceuticals a try as they have more active ingredients and can do more for your skin concerns than just standard less active products. The products may seem a little expensive but they are so worth saving up for and they last a very long time as you only need a little.

As far as Makeup is concerned there are so many fabulous brands out there. I would definitely give the mineral makeup a go. Remember though that makeup is really only as good as the canvas you give it to work on so they key is to get the skin and the skin care routine right.

One of my dearest friends has suffered with acne for years and as a result, her face has obvious scarring. Recently, she was involved in a horseriding accident which rendered her incapacitated in hospital. During her stay a nurse recommended “soft white parafin” to both heal her acne and minimise her scarring.
Unbelievable! :shockedhair:
Her skin is clear and most of the scarring has dissolved and her skin actually looks fresh.
Apparently you can purchase a 500g tub for $12 at the chemist.
I’m gob smacked and ever so happy for her.

[QUOTE=charismatic;21229]One of my dearest friends has suffered with acne for years and as a result, her face has obvious scarring. Recently, she was involved in a horseriding accident which rendered her incapacitated in hospital. During her stay a nurse recommended “soft white parafin” to both heal her acne and minimise her scarring.
Her skin is clear and most of the scarring has dissolved and her skin actually looks fresh.
I’m gob smacked and ever so happy for her.[/QUOTE]

Um, what exactly is this soft white parafin? And why would it heal acne and scarring so well, does anyone know? :waving:

[QUOTE=beautyproductjunkie;21246]Um, what exactly is this soft white parafin? And why would it heal acne and scarring so well, does anyone know? :waving:[/QUOTE]

The brand name is Dermeze and yes it is about $12 for a 500g tub. It was originally produced by the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne for children with severe eczema. It keeps the skin moist and is useful for dry eczema. It is 50/50 liquid paraffin and white soft paraffin. I do believe it is related to petroleum. Sorry, have not heard of uses for acne scarring.

Ultraceuticals Mineral Foundation would be great for an all-round day foundation, however Jane Iredale make a fabulous mineral concealer called disappear which has won a lot of awards. It looks very naturally and gets rid of sooooo much redness without clogging the pores at all. Another great mineral makeup range is Youngblood, which do the most beautiful pots of loose eyeshadow (for around 20 something dollars) and blush and they are the most natural colours. It’s great to have some makeup to play with that won’t harm your skin and interfere with your acne.

[QUOTE=Luisa Brown;21430]The brand name is Dermeze and yes it is about $12 for a 500g tub. It was originally produced by the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne for children with severe eczema. It keeps the skin moist and is useful for dry eczema. It is 50/50 liquid paraffin and white soft paraffin. I do believe it is related to petroleum. Sorry, have not heard of uses for acne scarring.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Luisa :hearts:

[QUOTE=charismatic;21229]One of my dearest friends has suffered with acne for years and as a result, her face has obvious scarring. Recently, she was involved in a horseriding accident which rendered her incapacitated in hospital. During her stay a nurse recommended “soft white parafin” to both heal her acne and minimise her scarring.
I’m gob smacked and ever so happy for her.[/QUOTE]

If this is what I think it is, it’s brilliant. My son had awful exczema a few years ago, thsi stuff was wondreful for fixing that, and for me when my allergies led to dry spots on my face. Not the most pleasant feeling stuff to put on your face, but ultra effective.

[QUOTE=Rosie;21447] Not the most pleasant feeling stuff to put on your face, but ultra effective.[/QUOTE]

Yep - really gooey!

[QUOTE=Luisa Brown;21430]The brand name is Dermeze and yes it is about $12 for a 500g tub. It was originally produced by the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne for children with severe eczema. It keeps the skin moist and is useful for dry eczema. It is 50/50 liquid paraffin and white soft paraffin. I do believe it is related to petroleum. Sorry, have not heard of uses for acne scarring.[/QUOTE]

Liquid parrafin is a petroleum derivative. Baby oil is liquid parrafin, candles are made from hard paraffin and liquid paraffin is used a lot in manicure treatments as a ‘hand mask’ where the hand is dipped into a pot of hot parrafin after a nourishing cream is applied, the heat and occlusive effect of the paraffin allows the nourising cream or treatment product to better pennetrate.

I am not sure what specific properties liquid paraffin would have in healing acne scarring.