Advice re mild acne

Advice re mild acne

Just after a little advice on what is best for me to use on my skin. I’ve just turned 30 and have never really looked after my skin properly. I am quite oily around my nose and have alot of blackheads there as well as around my mouth and brow. But my cheeks etc are quite dry. I am also starting to have an issue with acne, it’s not too bad but it does need to be addressed.

I’ve been reading some bits and pieces on forums and I think the best thing for me to use is Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and Benzac 2.5%. If anyone else out there has used these products before, is this the correct way to go? Also I was hoping for a moisturiser you may be able to recommend, especially with my combination skin - maybe one that will help with the whole aging process as well (but does not cost an arm and a leg). I was thinking of Cetaphil Moisturiser but saw that some people thought it was not the best to use.

Thanks, as you can probably tell, I’ve never been into really looking after my skin like I should have - which I really regret now. I went to my local chemist to get some advice on what’s best for me to use but the lady I spoke to made me feel so bad for not knowing really what I was talking about, so I decided to leave and try asking on a forum - where it’s not quite as embarassing!!:chuckle:

No advice, I’ll leave that to the real beautyistas. Just wanted to say welcome to Adore :waving:

Thanks Rosie.

I’ve never used a forum before and after browsing through this, they seem like a fantastic idea.

Collighan if you’re budget conscious, Neutrogena might be a good way to go. They have an oil-free anti-acne wash that is quite gentle but has I think 2% salicylic acid, which is definitely an ingredient you should look out for in your skincare. Do you wear makeup? If so, Cetaphil might not be strong enough to properly cleanse your skin at night - you would have to do a good double cleanse, perhaps with some gentle wiping with a washer/facecloth, or use a precleansing product such as Dermalogica Precleanse. I’ve also heard that a good product for your type of skin is the Olay Total Effects for blemish-prone skin. It’s got a creamier texture I believe, so it would probably be ok on your drier areas, but it again has salicylic acid to exfoliate a little bit and help prevent pimples. It depends on how bad your acne is though - what you call “acne” others might just think are a few pimples or hormonal breakouts.

As for moisturiser, I’ll leave that to someone else as it’s probably more important to get that one exactly right. You might need to spend a little more on moisturisers because they sit on your skin all the time. Just make sure your daytime one has an SPF! But there are plenty of budget-conscious options in places like Priceline if you really don’t want to spend too much, so don’t feel that you’re missing out!

[QUOTE=Collighan;35946]Thanks Rosie.

I’ve never used a forum before and after browsing through this, they seem like a fantastic idea.[/QUOTE]

They are. The advice and product knowledge I have found here at Adore is second to none.

Thanks Ozlicious - I do wear make-up, not alot and only when I am at work. I think I’ll grab some of that NNeutrogena and give that a go for sure. My acne isn’t too bad, I get a fair few little pimples around my chin and then I’ll go through a stage where I get some pretty nasty ones and then they go for a month or so. Doesn’t match up with my cycle so I’m not sure if it’s a menstrual thing or not. I do have a problem with black heads around my nose though - don’t usually develop into an actual pimple but they are quite prominent.

Again thanks for your advice - it’s very appreciated.

welcome :waving:

have a bit of a look through the skin care thread & reviews , there is some info on neutrogena as well
just be careful not to strip the skin too much to rid yourself of those pesky zits :wink:

I was having a look around before and 2 products kept coming up - Cetaphil Cleanser & Benzac. From what I can gather, I would be best to make sure my skin is free of make up before using the Cetaphil (apparently it does not clean the make up off too well) and then use the Benzac 2.5% - I read someone say they put the Benzac all over their face but then another mentioned it is better to use it just in the areas where you are prone to get acne. But on the moisturiser side, I will certainly look at the Neutrogena products as well as Olay. I was seriously considering getting the Proactiv but was quite surprised when I saw the not so favourable reviews and a product called Acnexus was also mentioned but I have not heard of that.

Thanks - it’s great to receive this info, it really is helpful to someone like me who really isn’t that great with this sort of thing.

:worship:

[QUOTE=Collighan;36044]I was having a look around before and 2 products kept coming up - Cetaphil Cleanser & Benzac. From what I can gather, I would be best to make sure my skin is free of make up before using the Cetaphil (apparently it does not clean the make up off too well) and then use the Benzac 2.5% - I read someone say they put the Benzac all over their face but then another mentioned it is better to use it just in the areas where you are prone to get acne. But on the moisturiser side, I will certainly look at the Neutrogena products as well as Olay. I was seriously considering getting the Proactiv but was quite surprised when I saw the not so favourable reviews and a product called Acnexus was also mentioned but I have not heard of that.

Thanks - it’s great to receive this info, it really is helpful to someone like me who really isn’t that great with this sort of thing.

:worship:[/QUOTE]

Hi Collighan… and welcome… :waving: I dont know much about the cetaphil… but I would watch out about the benzac… I put a dab of that once on my sons pimples and it burnt the living daylights out of him and he washed it off straight away… A friend of mine uses it to remove stains from vinyl… So its pretty potent stuff. I would be very cautious about using it on my face… (even though its meant for acne, it is very harsh imo).

Yes, definitely don’t put the Benzac all over your face!! On the pimples ONLY!

[QUOTE=Collighan;36044]I was having a look around before and 2 products kept coming up - Cetaphil Cleanser & Benzac. From what I can gather, I would be best to make sure my skin is free of make up before using the Cetaphil (apparently it does not clean the make up off too well) and then use the Benzac 2.5% - I read someone say they put the Benzac all over their face but then another mentioned it is better to use it just in the areas where you are prone to get acne. But on the moisturiser side, I will certainly look at the Neutrogena products as well as Olay. I was seriously considering getting the Proactiv but was quite surprised when I saw the not so favourable reviews and a product called Acnexus was also mentioned but I have not heard of that.

:worship:[/QUOTE]

hi Collighan, welcome to the forum :waving:

i have not used cetaphil cleansers myself, but i have heard that they are great for their gentleness and for balancing the skin - in the evening, i would use an eye makeup remover for your eye makeup and do a double cleanse with the cetaphil for your face and that should remove makeup & cleanse your skin. as others have mentioned, i would be careful with the benzac though

u mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you have dry cheeks - so it sounds like you have combination or combination/dehydrated skin. look for products that are for combination skin or balancing your skin. i think many of us with combo skin (including me!) have made the mistake of using products for oily skin which only dry out the skin, cause more breakouts etc :flames:

i would also suggest posting a thread on the ask allison part of the forum, with all the details you have provided here -

ladyver

Ok - so I have my skin care routine set out ready to go. Plus I’ve solved my moisturiser query - I looked in my bathroom cupboard and found I had a new bottle of Neutrogena Healthy Skin in there and from what I’ve read in these forums, everyone highly recommends this so I’ll be using it as my moisturiser for sure.

I was thinking I should exfoliate once a week as well - taking into account my combination skin (oily nose area, very dry cheeks), any recommendations as to the best product to use?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Collighan;36457]Ok - so I have my skin care routine set out ready to go. Plus I’ve solved my moisturiser query - I looked in my bathroom cupboard and found I had a new bottle of Neutrogena Healthy Skin in there and from what I’ve read in these forums, everyone highly recommends this so I’ll be using it as my moisturiser for sure.

I was thinking I should exfoliate once a week as well - taking into account my combination skin (oily nose area, very dry cheeks), any recommendations as to the best product to use?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

if your acne ins’t huge & pustuler i would exfoliate 2-3 times a week , maybe start up slowly , if u r looking at a budget range , i have used the neutrogena deep clean gentle scrub & it is good , use no pressure , let the scrub do the work , i also have combo skin , have a look at the budget skin care thread for other options
as well :hugs:

Thanks, I’ll do that.

Should I be applying a face mask each week as well or will exfoliating be enough?:spin:

colligan you are being a forum hussy :chuckle: you posted the same question in two places.

I responded in the ‘ask allison’ section

:typing:

[QUOTE=Collighan;36476]Thanks, I’ll do that.

Should I be applying a face mask each week as well or will exfoliating be enough?:spin:[/QUOTE]

a clay mask would be great once a week , & the kit Allison has been talking about has a really good one in it & the gylcolic one [also in the pack] is fab , u really can’t get much better than the alpha h masks

so if u do a chemical mask [gycolic] then u can manual scrub 2 times a week

so cleanse twice a day [double at night if u wear make up] use moistusier [with spf in the day] twice a day
clay mask once , gycolic mask once & twice a week use a scrub
an eye cream twice a day would also be a good idea :waving::rollthoseeyes:

definitely use an eye cream… let me know if you need help with that one… I love the ultraceuticals eye creams and the dermadoctor one is lovely too… (we stock all those)

Yes the kit has two masks. You can apply the purifying first and follow with the glycolic one- do this once a week or you can space them at different times during the week.

so your routine will look like this:

am
cleanse- triple action cleanser

apply balancing moisturiser and eye cream

apply light broad specturm 30+ sunscreen.

pm
cleanse as above

apply liquid gold

apply balancing moisturiser and eye cream

other:
exfoliate 2-3x week with microcleanse exfoliant (this is done after cleansing)

then apply a mask (after exfoliating) (and follow with your liquid gold and or moisturiser)

make sense?

Thanks for that - I was going to ask about eye cream. My eyes are terrible. I’m going through that stage of working late hours, alot of stress and max of 6 hours sleep a night. I need soooo much more sleep than that to operate properly but it’s just not happening. Hence, I have shocking dark marks under my eyes - to the point where some mornings I look at myself and I look like I have 2 black eyes :shakehead:

Any advice on a nice, soothing eye cream that will help with the dark circles and lovely wrinkles I’m noticing would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about bombarding the forums Lady Allison - I loved the way there were so many different opinions and responses on other threads I’ve read (keep in mind this is my first forum) so I worked on the theory that more responses means more chance of finding that one person who can absolutely relate to me and will give me the magic answer I was looking for!!! :chuckle:

You have all been so helpful, I’ve got a good idea of what I’m doing now so thank you all so much.:spin:

pls keep us posted :typing: i would definitely like to hear how you go with your new skin care routine and your reviews of the products you try out

ladyver:waving:

Just wanting to check - for my moisturiser I have Neutrogena Healthy Skin, is that enough for a moisturiser? I read on the bottle last night that it can be used under a moisturiser - does that mean I should get another moisturiser as well?