All The Reasons You Need Vitamin C In Your Skincare Routine

All The Reasons You Need Vitamin C In Your Skincare Routine
0.0 0

Originally published at: https://www.adorebeauty.com.au/beautyiq/all-the-reasons-you-need-vitamin-c-in-your-skincare-routine/

I’m not going to go all science-y on you right now, because a) science is not my strong point, and b) trying to explain the different forms of Vitamin C would require me to write a thesis. What I am going to do, is explain the difference between some of our most popular Vitamin C serums, and explain why Vitamin C is a great addition to your skincare routine.

What's So Good About Vitamin C?

Packed full of free-radical fighting antioxidants, Vitamin C should be a staple in your skincare routine if you are wanting to target ageing, pigmentation, sun damage and dullness.
  • Vitamin C encourages your skin’s natural healing processes

• Promotes healthy collagen production

• Decreases the appearance & reocurrence of irregular pigmentation

• Reduces swelling & irritation with anti-inflammatory properties

• Helps to clarify & brighten the complexion

• Works to provide protection against damage from free radicals & UV rays

• Vitamin C firms the skin & improves overall texture

What You Need To Know:

Regardless of which form of Vitamin C you choose to use (there are many) - all Vitamin C based skincare products will 'oxidise' when exposed to oxygen and light over time. This means the Vitamin C component of the product is no longer an effective antioxidant. It's recommend you discontinue use once you notice your Vitamin C becomes discoloured or changes in smell.

You’ll probably notice some serums come in tinted glass packaging or with airless pumps - these are designs to prolong your Vitamin C. You’ll usually get about 3 months of use from your Vitamin C serum depending on how you store it (I recommend keeping it in a cool dark place, not exposed to direct light).

What's The Difference Between These Best-Sellers?

I know you're all crazy for the Deciem brands right now, so I've included all your favourites in this article so you can compare which one is right for you, as well as another popular Vitamin C serum from Medik8.

The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

- Affordable & potent anti-ager, brightener and antioxidant
  • Contains 23% L-Ascorbic Acid in powder form

• Combined with dehydrated Hyaluronic Acid spheres for added hydration

• Ideal for long-term users of Vitamin C who want something at a lower price-point

• This product can cause a high level of stinging & has a gritty feel to it

★★★★★ Where have you been all my life - Tia

"I was also sceptical, however I am now a believer. This product is fantastic and I cannot live without it. There is a reason it is sold out pretty much everywhere. It is grainy but I find that this product is gentler than its powder counterparts. This is the first product I have used which not only does not aggravate severe cystic acne, but actually controls it. It also has a brightening effect which is noticeable almost immediately. Give this product a go, you will not regret it."

Buy here

Hylamide C25 Stabilised Vitamin C Booster

- Contains 25% Vitamin C in the form of Ethyl Ascorbic Acid
  • Just as effective as the pure form of Vitamin C, L-Ascorbic Acid

• It’s still very potent, but causes less stinging & associated discomfort

• This serum contains extra brightening ingredients to target sun damage

★★★★★ Great Vitamin C hit! - Em

"This is a great C serum - it reminds me of another brand I've previously used that is 3 times more expensive but seems to provide the same result for me. Helps to brighten skin, I like the consistency (blends fine under makeup & doesn't 'ball up' on skin like some do), a more affordable version as some serums cost the earth! I have dry sensitive skin and my skin really responds to this - no negative reactions! Look forward to trying the result of Hylamide range."

Buy here

NIOD Ethylated L-ascorbic Acid 30% Network

- NIOD's Vitamin C contains 30% Ethyl Ascorbic Acid
  • Compared to Hylamide, NIOD’s contains extra antioxidants

• Works well as a powerful anti-ager, both immediately & over time

• Also contains 10% Niacinamide, Selenium & Zinc to fight against oxidation

★★★★★ Ground-breaking - Alexander

"I’m a guy with oily but dehydrated, acne prone and sensitive skin. I’ve tried several vitamin C serums to help me fade my acne scars without aggravating my sensitive skin. This is by far the best out of all. I’ve only been using this for about a week, and I’ve seen results upon first application. My dull skin was instantly brightened! It’s too soon to tell if it’s working for my fine lines, because like all other products, it takes patience. My acne scars are fading in less than a week. I have not experienced any redness, irritation or any breakouts from using this. Most Vitamin C serums break me out, but not this one. The texture is very watery, so I apply a couple of drops directly to my face. The spreadability is amazing, and has no scent. Overall, a groundbreaking product!"

Buy here

Medik8 C E Tetra

- C E-Tetra contains 7% Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (potent & highly stable form)
  • This serum has been shown to have up to 4 times the potency of L-Ascorbic Acid

• It also features advanced technology for enhanced penetration of ingredients

• C E-Tetra comes in tinted glass packaging to prolong its stability

★★★★★ My Vit C match FOUND!! - Jax

"I don't know if it is the type of Vit C in it or the combination with its oil base, but I love it & my skin loves it. Housed appropriately in its glass dark bottle too I am ensured the ingredients stay stabilised. It's the ONLY product that has worked for me for a C serum addition to skincare. No flare-ups or breakouts, no tingling or burning sensations, pigmentation calmed & WHAT a fantastic base primer under a moisturiser for makeup. I apply 4 drops with the dropper, 1 drop each to forehead, cheeks & chin after cleansing & massage it in, it absorbs beautifully into my skin & I wait a few minutes before applying my regular moisturiser. Cant rate this highly enough!"

Buy here

Shop Vitamin C Serums here