Cruelty free versus non-cruelty free makeup brands

Cruelty free versus non-cruelty free makeup brands
0.0 0

I am interested as to why people still choose non-cruelty free brands.
There are so many cruelty free brands, which have products of quality equal to or better than non-cruelty free brands.
Price is often equal to, as well, or even cheaper e.g. The Ordinary

@gabriellesmith to be honest I think often it’s lack of awareness that the company they’re buying from tests on animals. I agree though. There are so many amazing cruelty free brands there’s no need to rely on the ones that test on animals

@christined I wonder why there is a lack of awareness? Being unaware doesn’t make sense to me. I was unaware, years ago, until I first saw a brand marketed as cruelty free - CF - This motivated me to research brands. I would just google - “ is xxxx brand cruelty free? “ - and the brands which I was using, at the time, weren’t cruelty free. I guess it’s safe to say that cruelty free brands, 95% of the time, are marketed as CF, so the brands that aren’t marketed as CF, usually aren’t CF. Now that there’s so much information clearly on display, throughout the internet - brands advertising, social media, Instagram, Pinterest, blogs and cruelty free lists on websites - I wonder why it is that people STILL choose to use non CF brands… knowing that non CF brands perform or allow 3rd parties ( e.g. their ingredients’ suppliers and/or to sell their products in physical stores in mainland China ) to perform cruel tests on animals… quite disheartening.
What’s also disheartening, is the fact that some CF brands try to hide the fact that they choose to sell in mainland China ( e.g. Avon and Jurlique ).

I don’t understand why the retail market still invests in such products! The ignorance or callous apathy is disgusting! We should include awareness and empathy.

I’m not necessarily sure if your original
Post was a statement or a question.

With respect to what I think you are asking, I assume you want to know why do people still choose to buy products tested on animals despite what you consider to be an abundance of information available

Well despite the premise somewhat begging the question it is important to note there are several issues that need to be taken into consideration when addressing your concerns and a large portion of the answer lies in government policy. A topic that is very broad and probably requires a dissertation to be dealt with comprehensively but for the purpose of this discussion it’s worth noting that there are some positive policies that have been or are being introduced to curb animal testing on cosmetic products. For instance, in response to public pressure to ban animal testing the EU introduced rather stringent laws largely banning the practice and have recently modified them to regulate imported products that have been tested on animals.

Australia has introduced a similar bill and by 2018 the practice will largely be banned here as well.

I note you made reference to China with what I consider to be some rather adhoc statements but I think it’s important to note that the USA is lagging behind in their regulation regarding this as well.

Also I think it’s important to remember that in any policy/regulation/law review the process is nuanced and intricate and the changes need to be made in a manner that protects the consumer. I know it’s unpalatable to many and I am probably straying into another debate entirely, but testing on animals was a response to widespread poisoning that resulted in serious harm to thousands of humans and deaths of several hundreds. Remember the purpose of policy is largely intended to protect human life first and foremost with a secondary consideration to the welfare of other living creatures.

Therefore I don’t necessarily think that the consumer should be accused of knowingly or not knowingly purchasing products and be admonished for doing so. At the end of the day they are the last in the chain of supply so the issue rests largely in the hands of government policy. Second to that there is also the problem of social concern fatigue whereby it is proven that with the over saturation of social outrage people only pay attention to an issue for approximately 4 days before the status quo is restored and we settle back into normal patterns of consumer behaviour. Behaviour that does perhaps conform to the influence of marketing. In reality, it’s difficult to ask people to genuinely care about every single issue when they have to work, cook, clean their house, care for loved ones and so on all of which takes considerable effort. The reality is most people just don’t have the time.

So alas, it’s a policy issue more so than a consumer issue

It is clear that you are passionate about the issue so perhaps it could be something you could advocate for yourself, as you mentioned there are multiple platforms available to promote change. However as previously stated the change has been enacted here so I suppose you might want to target US sites rather than Australian ones

All the best to you in your crusade