Differences between rose hip oils

Differences between rose hip oils

Hi,

Some rose hip oils are Rosa canina and some are Rosa rubiginosa,

Is there a difference or will they both do a good job?

I looked at the Sydney essential oil site and the New directions site, I get a lot of stuff from new directions but have not tried the rose hip oil from either of these places

I never realised this. Good question. Maybe different part of plant?

I wikied both - They are both Sweet Briars but flourish it different parts of the world.
Rosa Canina is known for among other things, its potent Vitamin C.
Rosa Rubiginosa is classified as an invasive weed in Australia & New Zealand.

Good investigating C!
I’m going to look at my bottle and see what it says. Hopefully it says Rosa Canina!

Ooooo Akin make one with Rosa Canina in it. I assume it’s all pretty much the same thing but the Rosa Canina is made from the seeds of the plant… I think.
http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/viewitem.asp?idproduct=10213

Trash I checked my Eleusian Rosehip Oil. It is Rosa Eglentaria, which is pure authentic Rosehip. It states
"Remarkable regenerative properties, repairing skin tissue, softening fine lines & wrinkles, and naturally rebuilding collagen. Rich in essential fatty acids & vitamin c. Nourishes, revitalises and hydrates dry skin. Effective treatment for minor burns, sunburn, pigmentation, scarring, stretch marks and sun damage."

Sounds to me like they are just different varieties/species of rose plants, from which the oil is extracted (it is extracted from the seeds/fruit in all cases). There should be no major differences in the quality of the oil produced (they will all be very beneficial!), but this website (http://www.ageless.co.za/herb-rosehip.htm) claims Rosa rubiginosa produces superior oil, and that Rosa rubiginosa is also known as Rosa eglanteria (like in your Eleusian oil, C), sweet briar or eglantine.

i’m wondering if the oils have been “classed” like with olive oils , as in first pressing etc

or maybe it is also like the grading system for essential oils

[QUOTE=charismatic;90157]Trash I checked my Eleusian Rosehip Oil. It is Rosa Eglentaria, which is pure authentic Rosehip. It states
"Remarkable regenerative properties, repairing skin tissue, softening fine lines & wrinkles, and naturally rebuilding collagen. Rich in essential fatty acids & vitamin c. Nourishes, revitalises and hydrates dry skin. Effective treatment for minor burns, sunburn, pigmentation, scarring, stretch marks and sun damage."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SeaGreen;90176]Sounds to me like they are just different varieties/species of rose plants, from which the oil is extracted (it is extracted from the seeds/fruit in all cases). There should be no major differences in the quality of the oil produced (they will all be very beneficial!), but this website (http://www.ageless.co.za/herb-rosehip.htm) claims Rosa rubiginosa produces superior oil, and that Rosa rubiginosa is also known as Rosa eglanteria (like in your Eleusian oil, C), sweet briar or eglantine.[/QUOTE]

Mine says it has this one in it Rosa rubiginosa. I use the Kosema one by the way.

They are all aspecies of Rose ie Rosa. Only the Rosa Elglentaria is Rosehip. The others are all sub species.
Oil is extracted from the hips of the plants.

They are merely the most traditionally used species of the Genus Rosa. Rose hips are merely a pollenated rose.

Screenshot_2017-08-25-11-00-15|281x500