Do’s & Don’ts: For The Perfect Shave

Do’s & Don’ts: For The Perfect Shave
0.0 0

Originally published at:

While I can’t say I have much experience with shaving off facial hair myself, I do have some great tips and tricks on how you can achieve the perfect shave, without the rashes, bumps and ingrown hairs. Just like tackling any skincare concern, the best way to avoid any problems is by preventing them in the first place - and this is definitely the case with shaving.

The more effort you put into preparing your skin, the less likely you are to experience the dreaded shaving rash. To back up my suggestions, I’ve recruited some reliable male sources to trial some of our most popular shaving products to see which are best for staying irritation-free.

For Prepping The Skin:

Jason recommends: Foreo Luna 2 Mens Skin Care+Pre Shave

Overnight your skin collects sweat, dirt and excess oil so I always recommend cleansing in the morning, even if you aren’t shaving. However, making sure you cleanse is particularly important if you are shaving, as that build-up of grime can cause ingrown hairs and blemishes as you shave. Exfoliating helps to remove dead skin cells, so it’s an important step if you want a closer shave.
  • Not only cleanses, but prevents the signs of ageing

- Skin is left smooth and radiant in just two minutes

- Removes impurities from the skin & exfoliates

Buy here

★★★★★ Loved it! - Jason

"The Luna 2 does a surprisingly great job at exfoliating and massaging my skin, which has made shaving noticeably more comfortable. At the same time it isn't too rough on my rather sensitive skin. I have been using it daily with several different cleansers over the last couple of weeks, and I have not yet had a single problem.”

Preparation Tip:

DO shave after a shower: The steam will soften the skin and open the pores, whilst the water makes the hair easier to cut. If you aren’t having a shower, at least make sure you face is wet with warm water before applying your shaving gel. Never use cold water as this will close pores which will irritate the skin.  

For Shaving:

Joe recommends: Clinique For Men Aloe Shave Gel

First things first - don't dry shave. Even if you use an electric razor, dry shaving is an absolute no-no. Just don’t do it! Using a shaving cream or gel not only allows your razor to smoothly glide over your skin, but it also helps to lock in moisture to prevent dry skin and irritation.

- Clinique's Shave Gel contains Aloe Vera to calm & soothe sensitive skin

- The gel formula softens the face & beard allowing for a smooth shave

- It’s an oil-free formulation

Buy here

★★★★★ Protective and soothing - Joe

My skin can be quite sensitive to fragranced products, so I often struggle with other shave gels. This shave gel is fragrance free, and contains aloe which helps to soothe and protect. This product leaves my skin with no shaving rashes or irritation, and my skin feels soft post-shave. My skin type is normal to combination, and can be prone to congestion. The oil-free formula doesn't clog my pores, which is a bonus. Would repurchase!”

Shaving Tips:

DON’T use a dull blade: Whilst a sharper blade may feel like it’s doing more damage, it’s actually a dull blade which can cause irritation. Instead of gliding over the skin, it applies to skin unevenly causing a scratchy sensation. You should never shave more than ten times with the same blade.

DO use short strokes: Working with short strokes delivers a more precise shave. You want to shave in the direction of your hair growth to avoid razor bumps and use a light hand as too much pressure can cause nicks and cuts. Simply let your razor do the work, rinsing it out every few swipes with hot water to help lubricate the shave.

For Aftercare:

Gareth recommends: asap Soothing Gel

Your skin is very vulnerable after a shave, so the worst thing you can do is simply put away your razor and carry on with your day. Spend a few extra minutes treating your skin as this will soothe and calm your skin and prevent irritation.

- This anti-inflammatory gel helps to soothe skin after shaving

- Aloe Vera promotes healing and reduces redness

- The water-based gel formula hydrates the skin & can also treat sunburn

Buy here

★★★★★ Very soothing - Gareth

“It's been a long time since I have used an Aloe Vera gel on my face. I only shave about 1-2 times per week so I do get a fair bit of irritation. The Aloe Vera works absolute wonders post shave for me, it soothes as well as longer term in the day makes my skin feel really supple. I have used this product without shaving and it's a totally different experience for my skin, my face feels tacky for longer than I would like. The smell of Aloe is also quite strong, I’m fine with that but your mileage may vary. Overall, superb post shave - some of the best I have tried, better I would say for dry skin without shaving.”

Craig recommends: L'Occitane Aftershave Balm

Once your skin has been soothed and calmed, it’s time to rehydrate your skin of the moisture lost during shave. Aftershave balms and lotions are designed to moisturise skin without leaving a greasy residue, and leave the skin feeling comfortable.

- Light and fluid texture melts easily into the skin

- Aromatic spicy scent

- Enriched with nourishing shea butter to rehydrate skin

- Contains bisabolol to soothe skin & prevent irritation after shaving

Buy here

★★★★★ Great impact - Craig

I received a gift pack for my birthday and I started using the L'Occitane shave balm. I am really happy with how it hydrates my skin after my morning shave. You do not need much, so it goes a long way and when you use it daily, it has a real impact on your skin."

Aftercare Tip:

Leaving your skin bare post-shaving is an absolute no-no. Find an aftercare product that addresses your skin's needs. Sensitive skin? Go for something calming. Acne-prone skin? Go for something balancing. Dry skin? Go for something nourishing. There are moisturisers and aftershave products specially designed to keep your skin in check. So there you go, that's my insight on how to avoid shaving rash and other skin irritations post-shaving! Have you found a post-shaving or pre-shaving product that works wonders for you skin? Our community would love to here about it on our Forum here.