Extracting Blackheads

Extracting Blackheads

[quote=Allison (Staff);10625]Hi Chris,

black heads that are established don’t tend to just go away. Having them extracted is the best method.

The products will prevent so many others from forming.

:)[/quote]

I was wondering about this. If I have blackheads on my nose, they won’t go away by themselves? I should get them extracted? Is that right?

Can I please get some information about this? It sounds like something that would be very worthwhile. What does it involve? What does it cost? Have you had it done? How did it go? Would you do it again? etc…

Thanks!!

I tried those pore strips that you stick on then peel off when I had a horrible hormonal stage with my skin. Talk about gross! :vomit: Its a bit like a wax strip as it will also pull out small facial hairs too along with the blackheads. It doesn’t get all of them but certainly removed a good deal without damaging the skin by squeezing it.
An interesting concept.

I’ve used those too Medusa. They were all the rage a few years back. It is really odd seeing the little blighters on the strip when you pull it off! Did you find the strips really drying though?

Unfortunate but true, blackheads cannot “go away” by themselves. Essentially they are a pore that fills with sebum (oil). The black appearance is when it reaches the surface, it oxidises.

I remove the few I have around my nose after a shower with well padded fingers. As the pores are usually enlarged, it is also inevitable that they “refil”. Proper cleansing, deep cleansing masks and refining treatments help though.

[QUOTE=raspberryberet;10779]I’ve used those too Medusa. They were all the rage a few years back. It is really odd seeing the little blighters on the strip when you pull it off! Did you find the strips really drying though?[/QUOTE]

RBB, they might appear drying as they usually take a good layer of skin with them!:frowning:

Hey, that must be it! :chuckle:

What’s your take on professional extractions?

I’ve also found the Alpha H Microcleanse and Purifying Clay Mask have helped reduce the appearance (and re-appearance) of blackheads.

Hi RBB,

Yes, some fantastic products around to lessen their return and refine skin texture. I think those strips are ingenious but darn they hurt! As mentioned earlier they tend to recur as the pore itself is enlarged and will fill fairly quickly.

Most therapists will do extractions during a facial, usually after using the steam. Sort of the same thing I do at home after a shower. Care is needed not to bruise the skin and only persisting when they are coming out with ease. I am personally against those metal do-dahs that have a donut like end. They are lethal!:shockedhair:

[QUOTE=Luisa Brown;10780] As the pores are usually enlarged, it is also inevitable that they “refil”. Proper cleansing, deep cleansing masks and refining treatments help though.[/QUOTE]
Yeah! What is with the refilling! :flames: I have one spot in particular on the corner of my nose (where the oil sits) that persistantly get a little whitehead every now & then. I’m talking since I was about 16! :mad: I try to clean it right out & heal it but the damned thing always comes back!!! Very annoying & very sore.

I agree that peeling the skin with scrubs, AHAs & masks does refine the skin.

What about scarring from squeezed pimples. Yes I know don’t lecture me, :dunce: its a done deed. Any tips on fading a scar?

[QUOTE=Medusa;10787]What about scarring from squeezed pimples. Yes I know don’t lecture me, :dunce: its a done deed. Any tips on fading a scar?[/QUOTE]

Know what you mean!:redcheeks:

Alpha H’s Hydradefense has a ton of repairing ingredients. Vitamin E is usually used for scarring, but they take some time to fade. Your current arsenal of active products will have an effect too.

[QUOTE=Medusa;10787]What about scarring from squeezed pimples. Yes I know don’t lecture me, :dunce: its a done deed. Any tips on fading a scar?[/QUOTE]

I want advice on this too! Skin is very fair and blemish RIPs seem to take ages to fade…would the U/C Eventone Serum help, I wonder?

[QUOTE=raspberryberet;10789]I want advice on this too! Skin is very fair and blemish RIPs seem to take ages to fade…would the U/C Eventone Serum help, I wonder?[/QUOTE]

Yep, definitely worth a go. Glycolic and Salicylic acids should help to refine skin and the other ingredients should also help with fading. Long processs though! :yawn:

[QUOTE=Luisa Brown;10786]Hi RBB,

Yes, some fantastic products around to lessen their return and refine skin texture. I think those strips are ingenious but darn they hurt! As mentioned earlier they tend to recur as the pore itself is enlarged and will fill fairly quickly.

Most therapists will do extractions during a facial, usually after using the steam. Sort of the same thing I do at home after a shower. Care is needed not to bruise the skin and only persisting when they are coming out with ease. I am personally against those metal do-dahs that have a donut like end. They are lethal!:shockedhair:[/QUOTE]

OMG !! Those metal blackhead extraction thingies really hurt, I made the beauty therapist stop when she started on my nose OUCH! - yeh I’m a wuss.

I have only just started using Even Skintone, so can’t comment yet. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the info and discussion, girls! I’ll look into those little pore strips. Any brand recommendations?
If I need more I’ll get a facial from somewhere and ask about getting them extracted. Girls from Canberra: where should I go for a facial? I have no idea!

I find that using a mild exfoliator every day helps keep mine under control… presently I’m using Dermalogica Microfoliant, which is great (if a bit messy - it’s a powder you mix with water to make a paste). Dr.Hauschka Cleansing Cream is another good one in this category.

[QUOTE=Toastie;10834]Thanks for the info and discussion, girls! I’ll look into those little pore strips. Any brand recommendations?
If I need more I’ll get a facial from somewhere and ask about getting them extracted. Girls from Canberra: where should I go for a facial? I have no idea![/QUOTE]

Toastie there’s a place in Civic that uses Dermalogica and MD Formulations…they do a “face mapping” exercise as part of the facial so they can help recommend products for you. Pretty sure they do extractions as well. I haven’t been there for a couple of years though. It’s called Urban Body and it’s in Moore Street.

I just looked at their website, they look great. Thanks rb!

I get heaps of blackhead on my nose and few tiny ones on my chin but poer strips do not cut it…they dont get anything out of my nose as the blackhead is completely flat (i.e. the plug is not sticking out of the pore if you know what i mean).

I find they only thing is attacking them after a shower when my pores are enlarged and then holding an ice cold face cloth over my nose to take away the redness.

[QUOTE=precious_star;12607]I get heaps of blackhead on my nose and few tiny ones on my chin but poer strips do not cut it…they dont get anything out of my nose as the blackhead is completely flat (i.e. the plug is not sticking out of the pore if you know what i mean).

I find they only thing is attacking them after a shower when my pores are enlarged and then holding an ice cold face cloth over my nose to take away the redness.[/QUOTE]

PS, when you tried the pore strips, did you moisten it to ease removal or removed when it was stiff and dry? Sometimes if you moisten it (although this does lessen the pain when you remove it) it doesnt seem to work. Also, they require a good amount of pressing down so they have a chance to “grab” onto the blackheads.

Ooh can I have in on this conversation, I love an extraction! If anyone lives in Sydney, you have to see Dee at Clear Skin Clinic in Double Bay (9327 5033). Her steam-and-clean facial is amazing. Cleans every little nook and cranny. I go once a month and it’s up there with buying shoes on the satisfaction scale.

I still quite love those pore strips. But the best product I’ve found to deal with this is Clinique’s Anti-Blemish Overnight Gel. It’s salicylic acid-based. You just apply it where you tend to get blackheads or any breakouts and it helps prevent clogging. They’re phasing it out unfortuantely so you’ll need to stock up. Or Ultraceuticals has a great Clearing Gel (which also works well for preventing ingrowns on the bikini line BTW).

Oh and I love those masks that heat up (Bioré has a great one). They’re good for opening pores, then you can just wrap tissue around your finger tips and gently nudge the sides of a pore to get a blackhead out.

Hmmm writing about blackheads with a slight hangover is not the best idea. Have a great weekend, guys.