Help! Nailbed infections

Help! Nailbed infections

Hi all,

would very much appreciate some advice: I have always had dry, thick, flaky cuticles, despite creams etc. Now my nailbeds are getting infected (paranychia) one by one and the nail even comes off the nailbed on the side on some of my nails. I am using rosehip oil which has made it a bit better. Has anyone had a similar problem - and found a solution?
Thanks!

I hope you have seen a doctor Sahne? Not something we should be giving you advice about as infections can get nasty. Please see your doctor xo

Thanks, Louisa, I have. Don’t wash your hands too often and use a moisturiser was the advice… not very helpful…

Did they give you any oral and topical antibiotics?

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/paronychia_nail_in.html

Thanks so much for your reply Louisa! My problem is the “chronic paronychia” and thanks God my nails do not look nearly as bad as the ones in the pictures…
The infections clear up by themselves and are never that red or swollen that you could actually drain them. i do have to wash my hands very frequently at wok, so this is probably why. I have recently used the Aqium hand desenfectant and that is when the problem really started to get worse… so I blame that lotion (very drying).
Have considered topical mupirocin, but at the moment noe of my fingers are acutely red/sore. I think I “just” need to get my cuticles and nailbeds into better condition to prevent them from getting recurrently infected.
Easier said then done though!

The Aquim is almost pure alcohol so very drying.

Have you tried a urea based cream? Something like Eulactol cuticle cream? It would help prevent that initial cracking. There was a product around decades ago called Atkins Septic Nails (fusspot may remember!), not sure of it’s contents though.

[QUOTE=sahne;38138]Hi all,

would very much appreciate some advice: I have always had dry, thick, flaky cuticles, despite creams etc. Now my nailbeds are getting infected (paranychia) one by one and the nail even comes off the nailbed on the side on some of my nails. I am using rosehip oil which has made it a bit better. Has anyone had a similar problem - and found a solution?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hi Sahne, I really feel for you darl… When I was very little I remember my mum having the same thing! She used to have the most gorgeous nails and then my grandmother told her she was going to ruin them by washing dishes without gloves… Anyway, she handed her my aunts gloves to wear… My aunt had the infection which is contagious if you use the same gloves… (my mum was unaware at the time)… Anyway, she then got it and suffered with this horrible infection for years… The only thing her doctor gave her was an antibiotic cream which would help but not totally fix it… The only way, mum was able to fix it permanently was by keeping her hands out of water… It was only after she became ill and was in hospital for a month that her nails cleared up and she realised that this is what was aggravating it… Her hands were in water too often!!! My mum had an extremely busy household and was always washing dishes or clothes…

Anyway, I dont know what your situation is darl, and whether you have your hands in water too much, but your doctor is not totally wrong when he tells you to keep them out of the water as much as possible…

Sorry I couldnt be of more help… I know how sore they must be… :hugs:

[QUOTE=sahne;38138]Hi all,

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Sahne, as you have consulted a Doctor to no avial I don’t mind recommending OPI Fungus Fix Serum. It kills all fungus based bacteria and controls all unsightly nail problems. This is your cure! :typing:

Hi!! Welcome!!:waving:

What a frustrating problem to have!! :hugs: If moisture is what you need then I would advise a nice thick hand cream and moisture gloves. Im not sure if this would be too much like “wet hands” tho.

The OPI serum sounds like a treat. Its a fine like between nourishing the dryness but monitoring the moisture. If dry long cuticles are n issue too or quicks for that matter too, maybe a pair of cuticle clippers would be in oreder. You can pick these up from most department stores.

Love to know how you go and what solution you come up with. :waving:

Much Love
TBA

Thanks so much for all your replies and help. I will let you know how the saga continues…

[I]Creative Nail Design’s[/I] [B]Solar Oil[/B] is meant to be very good for things like this. Get a bottle with the dropper so you can put a drop of it on each nail (and not have to use a brush - which would transfer infection back into the bottle) and then rub it in at least twice daily.

It is an anti-fungal, antibacterial, antiseptic and antiparasitic. This is an excellent remedy to stay away from fungal infections. It also removes the excess of pus and treats paronychia.

Take few drops of oregano oil.
Apply it to the affected cuticles and nails.
Then gently massage your affected area.
Repeat this remedy two times a day for the quick result.

love this @shashankpandey! I’ve heard apple cider vinegar is also great to use as an antibacterial solution.

Hi sahne - its a tricky one - you may want to check with your dr for some blood tests as undiagnosed diabetes can cause stubborn chronic fungal infections :frowning:

Otherwise i know some people ‘paint’ and soak their nails in tea tree oil every night which may help a bit?