How do you get rid of acne scarring?!?!

skincare
pores
How do you get rid of acne scarring?!?!
0.0 0

Haha yes that’s exactly it!

I use an 0.5mm derma-roller and it’s great, it has helped raise some of my lightly indented scars around my lips and generally just made my skin look better and less textured. It’s good for light scars.

:scream: :scream: @sophiejames you are the person we have been looking for!
So intrigued by these derma rollers!
Can you go wrong, and cause any damage if not used correctly?
Do you think this work better then a cosmetic cream or serum?
What does it feel like? Any pain?

@sophiejames… I’m with @annettebisinella… Please share your derma-roller secrets and processes. How often, how long for, how much pressure etc? :smiley:

So for an 0.5mm derma-roller I would start with rolling every 4 weeks. IF your skin can tolerate it, go down to every 3 weeks or 2 weeks at most. I do 8-10 rolls in different directions (up and down, side to side, and both diagonals), over my areas of concern with not too much pressure. The thing that makes the needles penetrate is not pressure but pulling the skin taut … it sounds nasty but this is how to get best results and how professionals do it. Make sure your skin’s clean before you start. There is an hour window after your have finished where your skin will absorb product extremely well, but this also means bacteria can too so use don’t use any active ingredients (although I hear a lot of people do use vitamin C with good results but I wouldn’t use AHAs) and nothing that is scented or with ingredients that are skin irritants. You skin will be red and irritated - wait an hour before applying makeup. Over the next few days your skin might be a bit flaky while it’s healing, so I’d say avoid using active ingredients until it stops flaking and has healed. That’s it!

The other thing is I would advise titanium rollers over surgical steel since steel is more prone to bending and blunting, and steel rollers just … aren’t that good.

This is amazing @sophiejames! Do you have a particular serum that you like to apply after rolling? Also does the roller need to be disinfected or cleaned a certain way after use to get any bacteria off the needles etc?

Exactly my next questions @christined

Yep - use rubbing alcohol to soak the derma-roller before and after use for about 5 min. After it’s soaked run it under some warm water and let it fully air dry before putting it on the skin. Super important. I use the ASAP skincare collagen booster afterwards … I’m not really sure if it makes a big difference to be honest so I’m thinking of doing some more research on better serums to use. There’s heaps of info on Youtube as well with people posting regular updates about how they’re healing their scars and what they use and stuff so I’d go there for some more info.

Also! When you store it make sure the needles aren’t resting on a surface so the needles don’t blunt. Most of them come with a little case so this shouldn’t be a problem. Otherwise store it standing in a cup or something, away from dust, moisture etc. It’s wise to replace the roller every few months too.

Sorry didn’t see your question till now! The longer needle lengths do work better than a serum for textured/raised/indented scars. There can be damage to your skin if you don’t use it correctly - I am by far no expert on using these things, but don’t apply too much pressure and don’t over do it basically. And never roll before your skin has fully healed from the last time. With an 0.5mm you do feel mild pain like a cat scratch or needle prick, however this length needle is necessary to get rid of scars. Any shorter and it is effective only for better product absorption. Some people use numbing cream however I am quite tolerant of pain (I’ve had my face dermapenned a few times … tattoos … etc you just get used to it in time lol) and I think if you use numbing cream you could risk rolling too hard. But like I said, I’m no expert and I’d say definitely do your own research before buying a roller. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your honesty @sophiejames
I am not sure this is the right product for me, I have a fear of needles so from the information you have given, its probably best I dont give this a go. And if I want to try and go down this path, leave it to the professionals. Not a great idea for me to do this if I am nervous. I dont want to cause any issues to my face. I have come too far!
I am so impressed you use this though! I don’t know many people that can take the plunge and have the strict regime that you keep with it! I just love it and am a bit jealous. Thank you so much for all the info. Something I have wanted to know for a long time. :star_struck:

No problem, and best of luck with finding something that works for you!

Thank you for your helpful comments! I actually have a derma-roller sitting at home that sounded like a brilliant idea, but then I get to actually trying to use it and I make excuses for myself. I have no proper reason for it, I’m just nervous about doing something like that to my face, personally!

OK OK I think I have to promise myself to try it on the weekend… gonna pop it on my to do list and really commit to this now!

If you have one @Shannon_Staff you have the try it!! Maybe do a small test patch for your first time see how you go!
Id be see keen to hear how your first experience is!

@Shannon_Staff After all the advice above I am going to purchase
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 and The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%.
I just have a question around Vitamin A. There alot of information that Vitamin A is ideal for uneven toned and acne prone skin types… Can I use it in conjunction with the above two products? Or am I going to push my skin too far?
Perhaps even @alexandraraymond or @christined can jump in and help me out again.
Sorry to keep asking ladies!

@annettebisinella The Retinoid 2% is a Vitamin A formulation, so if you’re looking at dipping your toes into prescription retinoids (like Retin-A or other Vitamin A prescriptions), I wouldn’t use them both together - you might overwhelm your skin with too much Vit-A. I hope this helps!

@annettebisinella as @alexandraraymond said I think the Retinoid will suffice in terms of Vit A. I know I personally have to be careful with As and retinol based creams as they can be quite potent and end up irritating your skin.
The Hyaluronic Acid will be beautiful for hydrating and plumping up your skin

@alexandraraymond @christined …thank you for clarifying that for me. I now understand its a form of Vitamin A! Perfect!
I will be placing me order next week, cant wait! :star_struck:

Yay I’m glad to hear that! Let us know how you go with it :smiley: