How much is too much for a haircut?

How much is too much for a haircut?

'Fess up girls - how much do you pay, where do you go, and is it worth it?

The fabulous Lee at Cream (Fitzroy) cuts my hair for about $60 (I think - I usually have a colour at the same time so it’s all in together). He does a brilliant job so to me it’s definitely worth it!

that’s a hard one!

such a personal service… jules at cream colours my hair and I have a high maintenance red right now- but worth it…

as for cut, I just paid $90 for a cut by James in South Yarra (in studio at the back of Euro Trash boutique on chapel st) He spent almost 2 hours with me though… I feel a little guilty paying that for touch ups, but the cut was great and he spent time teaching me how to style my hair with product and a GHD iron so…

sometimes you get what you pay for, you just have to get the right stylist for your style…

I have hair extentions so I’m lucky I don’t ever need a hair cut! :wink: (my own hair is painfully slow growing)

Where in Toorak?

I went to a Tony and Guy chain and will not go back. It is too expensive for a trim and colour (over $200) and they are impersonal. I was ignored for ages and all the staff were concerned with was what CD was playing and what club they were going to that night.
The cut was straight at least but the colour was not what I asked for.

Is there a salon in South Yarra or Toorak that will actually talk to me and listen to how I want my hair???

james is a stylist in sth yarra on chapel st. he works alone. expect to pay $90 for the cut but he will spend ages talking you through styling and what works for you 0406728298
tell him I sent you!

I pay about $180 to get my hair done, cut and colour at Mansini’s Hair on Chapel St Pharan. It may be pricey but I’ve been going to this salon for 6 years and every time I’ve walked out of there, I’ve been 100% happy with the job they’ve done… which is more than I can say for any other salon I’ve been to! And these guys have had to make drastic changes to my hair many times since I like to change colour totally every 6-9 months. They’re awesome!

I’ve gone to the same hairdresser for several years now, from a guy who does the most fantastic cuts for about 30 dollars if you’re a student, and 40 is you’re not. His wife is the beauty therapist there and was personally trained by Napolean Perdis himself, and there salon is now being considered to be featured in In Style magazine. I usually don’t tell people about my awesome Salon because I’m worried it will be popular and become expensive but considering it’s in Gympie, Queensland, I think I’m safe! It’s called Innovations Hair and Beauty. I just consider myself VERY lucky…

I go to iSher in Ocean Keys, Perth. I got my hair done there recently and paid $150 for wash/colour/1/2 head foils/cut and blowdry… I think that’s pretty reasonable. Once you find a hairdresser you are really happy with it’s hard to find someone new.

[QUOTE=jaime;282]I go to iSher in Ocean Keys, Perth. I got my hair done there recently and paid $150 for wash/colour/1/2 head foils/cut and blowdry… I think that’s pretty reasonable. Once you find a hairdresser you are really happy with it’s hard to find someone new.[/QUOTE]

Thats sounds pretty good. I might go for a try there.

Anyone else from Perth have any other salon recommendations which isnt too pricey?
I got my hair coloured and 1/4 foiled for $200 and didnt even get a blowdry here.
I normally get my haircut in Malaysia cos if you’re gonna dye/straighten/curled/highlighted, the haircut and blowdry is usually free. I havent gotten the courage to try getting a haircut yet so I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

I have a dilemma my BFF is a hairdresser but she just doesn’t cut my hair right and i’m really unhappy with the cut. I want her to cut it but i just can’t get through to her what i want. My other friend is also a hairdresser and she is really good but she’s not my BFF i’m afraid my BFF will get offended. I have thick boring hair that is just horrible.

[QUOTE=princess precious;1977]I have a dilemma my BFF is a hairdresser but she just doesn’t cut my hair right and i’m really unhappy with the cut. I want her to cut it but i just can’t get through to her what i want. My other friend is also a hairdresser and she is really good but she’s not my BFF i’m afraid my BFF will get offended. I have thick boring hair that is just horrible.[/QUOTE]
Oh dear… what a pickle!
Get your other friend to cut it - hair is just too important :stuck_out_tongue: maybe you could make up some excuse to the BFF that your other friend offered to cut it because she wanted the experience?? or needed it for her folio or something?

Hey PP, how did you go with this? Was it resolved?

My beloved hairdresser of five years up and quit while I was on holiday. How selfish! Now I’m back with my old favourite, Cataldo’s (Canberra). This is a fab salon though, wins lots of L’Oreal awards. Cut and colour costs me about $160, which I’m more than prepared to pay for the way my hair looks afterwards. Plus you get extra-long head massages. I would pay for them alone! I hate it when you’re looking forward to this little bit of pampering and you barely get 20 seconds…whinge, whinge, whinge…:smiley:

I paid the same a while ago and wasnt as happy as you. Supposedly that was with a discount (I work locally). All they need to do with my long hair is trim the ends, just a blunt cut, I always do my own fringe. Bit rich for $160 and just that 20 second massage to boot!:no:

That’s ridiculous for a trim! Ripped orf!

The cheapest haircut I ever received was given to me at age 8 by my stepdad. He put a bowl over my head and cut around the edges. The bowl cut lives! Needless to say, I was devastated. Mum had to cut up above my ears to even it out. Quel horror!

I have had the same hairdresser for some years. My hair is really important to me and I will not do the bad haircut thing anymore!
Ollie, my hairdresser, gives me advanced notice of holidays etc so I can plan haircuts around his commitments.
I have a classic french bob and have a trim every 4 weeks to keep the shape sharp. Ollie charges me $40 a cut and has done for a few years, his normal fee is $60. :worship:

:typing: I usually pay about 100-150 for a tint, foils (half head) and toner. I have blonde hair so try to go to a salon every 2-3 months. I have light hair naturally, so just try putting different blondes through it usually.
I usually go to a toni and guy salon, but the girl who usually does my hair has gone away, and ye I find anyone else is also impersonnel and also really expensive. Does anyone know a good salon in sydney which isnt too pricey (im a student) and is friendly?!?!?!

I would die without my friend who is my hairdresser. Granted I have to have my hair done after hours and I don’t get the long head massage but it is so cheap that I don’t care.

My hair is really fine but because I have a full head of foils in two different colours done in tiny (and I mean tiny) sections it takes a while. My haircuts are so tiny you can’t even see the fine hair taken off on the floor! When I was in Queensland last year I had a trim and they charged me $5 because it was two minutes work LOL!

After many many years I have finally found a fantastic hairdresser!!:worship:
And in Canberra no less
Although it costs me around $180 for a cut, 1/2 head of foils, toner and a blowdry it’s very worth it as my colourist is fantastic, their head massages are divine and Anita (my hairdresser) always remembers what we did last time and comes up with new ideas for styles and colours.:hearts: :hearts:

I found the perfect hairdresser three years ago and was paying $140 for cut/colour/blowdry etc., but the selfish **** has given up hairdressing altogether now, I tried another stylist but she thought it would be a good idea to cut shorter layers in my shoulder lenght hair - big mistake - it’s must made it curly again and I have quite fine hair - it looks quiet thick but that’s just because there’s a lot of it! - Now I have lots of shorter layers it looks really fine and I hate it!

I’ve made an appointment at a different salon for next Friday lunch, mainly because my fringe is ready for a trim - I can’t do it myself, it never ends up straight and I just have to keep cutting it to get it straight and end up with hardly any left - not a good look! :tears:

[quote=Della;6085]After many many years I have finally found a fantastic hairdresser!!:worship:
And in Canberra no less
Although it costs me around $180 for a cut, 1/2 head of foils, toner and a blowdry it’s very worth it as my colourist is fantastic, their head massages are divine and Anita (my hairdresser) always remembers what we did last time and comes up with new ideas for styles and colours.:hearts: :hearts:[/quote]
Where is that, Della?
I go to Rhubarb and Me. It used to be called Malcom G, in Lyneham (Canberra). There’s a new guy there who I had cut my hair last time. (Is that bad? I’ve been going to Malcom for about 4 years and needed to get my hair cut quite badly recently so just made an appointment with Luke, who was available at short notice. Now I feel guilty!). Anyway, Luke is really, really good. He has loads of experience with fashion show’s etc but now wants to settle in suburbia. I like him because I don’t know what I want, I just know I want it to look good. So, without any real instructions, he does a beautiful job on my hair. He also loves curly hair (which I have) and knows how to cut it so it sits nicely. It cost me $70 for a cut and half foils.
Malcom is also fabulous but you have to book about 5 weeks in advanced which requires me to be far too organised!