Oil Cleansers

Oil Cleansers

(I did a search but couldn’t find anything - if there is a thread on this already I’m sorry!)

Okaayy so I was reading the most recent Vogue and I read the ‘Best Kept Beauty Secrets’ part where Natalie Bloom says that she loves oil cleansers.

Does anybody know of a good oil cleanser? Any experience with these? Good stories/bad stories?

I’m very interested in this, I’ve had very positive experiences with oil skincare products that I’ve been using lately.

Dermalogica PreCleanse is a very popular one, it’s designed to be used as a makeup remover prior to your normal cleanser.

Laura Mercier also makes a couple of cleansing oils:
http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/viewitem.asp?idproduct=7401
http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/viewitem.asp?idproduct=7402

[QUOTE=Toastie;28333](I did a search but couldn’t find anything - if there is a thread on this already I’m sorry!)

Okaayy so I was reading the most recent Vogue and I read the ‘Best Kept Beauty Secrets’ part where Natalie Bloom says that she loves oil cleansers.

Does anybody know of a good oil cleanser? Any experience with these? Good stories/bad stories?

I’m very interested in this, I’ve had very positive experiences with oil skincare products that I’ve been using lately.[/QUOTE]

I noticed this in Vogue too, and I remember Natalie saying on this forum that Bloom was bringing out an oil cleanser at some point in the future. I guess she was getting the hype up!

I :hearts:Dermalogica Precleanse!! It’s the best and feels really luxurious on the skin. It smells great too! Dermalogica Precleanse is The Bomb and I strongly advise everyone to hightail it on to the Adore Beauty site and order yourself one immediately, you wont know what you are missing until you have tried it. It’s suitable for all skin types even oily!

So what is the point of an oil cleanser exactly? Is it used instead of make-up remover?

Oil cleansers have the ability to dissolve makeup and impurities gently and effectively on all skin types. I also read recently that oil cleansers are great for oilier complexions as the oil helps “attract” excess oil from the skin. (??). They are are new sensation in cleansing and have many fans. I have used one from Lancome and the Dermalogica one. Probably the best known one (and number one seller around the world) is Shu Uemera which has been aroun since 1960!!!

[QUOTE=Luisa Brown;28476]I also read recently that oil cleansers are great for oilier complexions as the oil helps “attract” excess oil from the skin. (??)[/QUOTE]

I have this mental picture of a giant oil magnet! Sucking up everything around it!

[QUOTE=raspberryberet;28481]I have this mental picture of a giant oil magnet! Sucking up everything around it![/QUOTE]

:chuckle: That’s how I pictured it!!

[QUOTE=raspberryberet;28481]I have this mental picture of a giant oil magnet! Sucking up everything around it![/QUOTE]

I have heard this too. I think (and I may be wrong; please correct me if I am) that some foaming cleansers, or any cleanser that is too harsh can strip the skin. This makes the skin think it has to produce more sebum, to rebalance itself. I think I read somewhere that a normal level of sebum acts as a natural barrier and protectant for the skin. I have found that many cleansers designed for oily or acnegenic skin made my skin break out more; perhaps due to the above theory. I like low-foaming or milk cleansers though it can be hard finding these that also remove makeup.

I have oily skin and have never used an oil cleanser, though I know some people that reccomend pure almond oil or apricot kernel oil to remove makeup - this is available from health shops and some chemists.

That’s interesting. I’m a bit scared to use oil on my skin, but then I was scared to use milk/cream cleansers and they’ve actually worked better than foaming cleansers. So maybe worth giving it a go, eh?

[QUOTE=Sapphire;28621]I know some people that reccomend pure almond oil or apricot kernel oil to remove makeup [/QUOTE]
I want to try this trick as I have sensitive eyes & many make up removers irritate me. I imagine it would be more beneficial for the skin around our eyes than many chemical cleansers? :rolleyes:
Has anyone used Almond oil or the like to remove make up before? How effective is it?

[QUOTE=Medusa;28632]I want to try this trick as I have sensitive eyes & many make up removers irritate me. I imagine it would be more beneficial for the skin around our eyes than many chemical cleansers? :rolleyes:
Has anyone used Almond oil or the like to remove make up before? How effective is it?[/QUOTE]

Almond oil is quite a dense carrier oil and best suited to body use. That’s not to say that you couldnt use it on facial skin but is best avoided by breakout prone ones. Jojoba is the ideal oil for the face and apricot kernal is nourishing and regenerating. Whichever one you try, make sure you are using a warm flannel to completely remove it and residue. You could experiment with adding some essential oils like rose that are good for facial skin, the warm flannel will help infuse them into your skin. Let us know how you go.

[QUOTE=raspberryberet;28628]That’s interesting. I’m a bit scared to use oil on my skin, but then I was scared to use milk/cream cleansers and they’ve actually worked better than foaming cleansers. So maybe worth giving it a go, eh?[/QUOTE]

Yes, definately. Also go on Luisa B’s advice regarding the type of oil.

Luisa B, could you put a couple of drops of ylang ylang into the jojoba or apricot oil for oilier skins?

[QUOTE=Sapphire;28761]Luisa B, could you put a couple of drops of ylang ylang into the jojoba or apricot oil for oilier skins?[/QUOTE]

Ylang Ylang is a good essential oil for oilier complexions. I have copied the following for your reference.

When mixing your own Oily skin remedies, there is a good selection of essential oils to choose from:
· Cedarwood - good for acne conditions and oily skin
· Clary Sage - aids excessive sebum (skins oil) production and helps reduce inflammation
· Geranium - balancing effect on sebaceous (oil) glands
· Lavender - powerful regenerative oil, antibiotic, antiseptic, and promote the prevention of scarring
· Sandalwood - a very soothing and strengthening oil, contains antiseptic properties to help control bacteria, is excellent for acne, and works to reduce excessive sebum production
· Tea Tree - powerful antibacterial and antiseptic, good for acne conditions
· Ylang Ylang - helps balance sebum secretion, good for toning excessively oily skin.
Other oils to blend with that are beneficial to oily skin are: bergamot, chamomile (for its anti-inflammatory properties), grapefruit (beneficial to congested skin), lemon, lemongrass, mandarin, petitgrain (good for oily hair too), and violet (will be more expensive, but good for oily skin).

Do remember that essential oils are extremely concentrated. Dilution should be 50/50 drops to mls. Eg, If you are using 50ml carrier oil, use no more than 25 drops (or mixture of drops). 10ml of carrier oil, 5 drops of essential oil. You get it!

i would be wary of the essential oils close to eyes though

[QUOTE=fusspot;28798]i would be wary of the essential oils close to eyes though[/QUOTE]

I would extend that to any oil used as a cleanser around the eyes. Risks are irritation, sensitivity, puffiness and interfering with contacts if worn. In my opinion, unless it’s made for around the eyes, avoid them.

[QUOTE=Luisa Brown;28774]Ylang Ylang is a good essential oil for oilier complexions. I have copied the following for your reference.

When mixing your own Oily skin remedies, there is a good selection of essential oils to choose from:
· Cedarwood - good for acne conditions and oily skin
· Clary Sage - aids excessive sebum (skins oil) production and helps reduce inflammation
· Geranium - balancing effect on sebaceous (oil) glands
· Lavender - powerful regenerative oil, antibiotic, antiseptic, and promote the prevention of scarring
· Sandalwood - a very soothing and strengthening oil, contains antiseptic properties to help control bacteria, is excellent for acne, and works to reduce excessive sebum production
· Tea Tree - powerful antibacterial and antiseptic, good for acne conditions
· Ylang Ylang - helps balance sebum secretion, good for toning excessively oily skin.
Other oils to blend with that are beneficial to oily skin are: bergamot, chamomile (for its anti-inflammatory properties), grapefruit (beneficial to congested skin), lemon, lemongrass, mandarin, petitgrain (good for oily hair too), and violet (will be more expensive, but good for oily skin).

Do remember that essential oils are extremely concentrated. Dilution should be 50/50 drops to mls. Eg, If you are using 50ml carrier oil, use no more than 25 drops (or mixture of drops). 10ml of carrier oil, 5 drops of essential oil. You get it![/QUOTE]

Thanks for this comprehensive list, LB - I had a small book on the uses of essential oils but became confused by all the options for oily skin!

archived #18