Q&A for WELEDA With Liezel Barnard

skincare
weleda
naturopath
naturalskincare
Q&A for WELEDA With Liezel Barnard
0.0 0

Thanks! Great information Liezel, now I know what to buy… and that body oil tip pre shower is fantastic ! Will definitely add that to my routine.

Janine

You are welcome Janine! So glad that I could help! :smile:

Hi @christined,

It is good to understand the underlying cause of your xerosis, the medical term for very dry and scaly skin. It could be genetically inherited. Do you have other family members with xerosis? Or it could be due to some underlying nutrient deficiency such as omega 3 and 6 fatty acid deficiencies or underlying conditions like hypothyroidism. Certain medications and supplements can also cause dry skin. If you are not sure what the cause is, I recommend to get it checked out by your healthcare practioner.

In my experience, xerosis is mostly due to inherited genetic factors where the skin barrier doesn’t function properly causing moisture to easily escape from the skin. If this is the case for you, then yes, you need to be very diligent about protecting and replenishing your skin barrier. :slight_smile: You need to moisturise at least once a day, and if your skin is still dry, then increase it to twice a day.

Skin Food is wonderful for xerosis as it contains plant oils rich in unsaturated fatty acids, soothing herbal extracts and hypoallergenic lanolin. There is nothing else quite like lanolin, it has this unique ability to hold onto water, creating a secondary “reservoir” in the skin. As mentioned in @keelyquinn ‘s post, you can mix Skin Food with a body oil for easier application to your legs. I recommend to mix it with our Baby Calendula Oil.

Other Weleda products that I can recommend for very dry skin on the legs are our Pomegranate Regenerating Body Oil, followed by our Pomegranate Regenerating Body Lotion with the added benefits of the high-potency antioxidants in this range.

A light body scrub a couple of times a week should also help the products to better penetrate the skin, although, be careful to overdo this, as scrubbing can also irritate the skin and worsen the dryness and scaling. I recommend our very gentle Birch Body Scrub made with plant wax beads.

Dry skin brushing could also work wonders. Always brush towards the heart to assist lymphatic circulation and brush on dry skin before you get into the shower.

And lastly, as I mentioned to @janinewalda, consider protecting the hydro-lipid layer of your skin during your cleansing routine i.e.

• Use a very gentle, replenishing body wash like the Weleda Sensitive Skin Body Wash
  • Install a water filter in your shower/bath tap to filter out chlorine and other impurities
  • Use luke-warm water (never hot) and
  • Apply body oil to the parts of your skin that gets dry (e.g. outside of arms and legs) before you get into the shower or bath
  • After you have cleansed and towel-dried your skin, apply your moisturiser while your skin is still damp

Warm wishes,
Liezel

Thanks so much @liezelbarnard

I love it on my face but I have found it is, for me personally, a bit heavy everyday so I’ll definitely try out the mask trick. Okay great, I’ll give mixing it with the Calendula Oil a go. I’ve also always wanted to try your cellulite oil so might try that out as well. Can’t get enough of your products so happy to try as many as possible.

Thanks again for your advice! Xx Keely

You are welcome, Keely! :slight_smile:

Hi @georginastevenson,

I’m talking a lot about Skin Food today and I think this will be the perfect Weleda product for you and your family to try. :slight_smile: It’s our very best product for dry patches and to make it easier to apply to your legs, mix it with a small amount of body oil (I recommend our Baby Calendula Body Oil).

We find that Skin Food is also very well tolerated by children’s sensitive skin and I often recommend it for treating children’s eczema and other skin irritations.

Warm regards,
Liezel

Hi @Rebecca_Mosch,

Yes, if you have very dry skin, then Skin Food is the perfect facial moisturiser! Personally, I use Skin Food as a day and night cream during winter, and the slightly lighter Calendula Face Cream during summer. If you find Skin Food too rich as an everyday cream, then I recommend to use it as a weekly hydrating facial mask instead.

Skin Food is also great for dry and irritated patches on children’s skin. I recommend our award-winning and much loved White Mallow Body Lotion as a general body and face moisturiser for your kids’ dry skin.

Warm regards,
Liezel

Hi @amandagorton,

It all depends on your skin type, the climate and your activities. :slight_smile:

I live in Sydney where we can get quite humid summers (like today :sweat_smile: ) meaning the water evaporates from my skin at a slow rate and my skin doesn’t feel dry. However, during winter, humidity often drops, resulting in a faster water evaporation rate and that’s why most of us experience dry skin during winter. Take note that if you spend a lot of time in the sun or water in summer, then your skin will feel dry in summer too.

My best recommendation for a dry, sensitive skin type (like me) is our Calendula Face Cream in summer and Skin Food as a face cream in winter.

If you have a normal or combination skin type, then I recommend our facial lotions for summer and our creams for winter. The Soothing Almond, Hydrating Iris and Smoothing Wild Rose ranges all contain light facial lotions and richer day and night creams.

If you have a dry and mature skin, then I recommend using the facial serums and day and night creams from the Pomegranate Firming and Evening Primrose Age Revitalising ranges throughout the year.

In our body care range, I recommend the light and fresh Citrus Hydrating Body Lotion for summer and our nourishing Pomegranate and Evening Primrose Body Lotions for dry skin in winter.

Warm regards,
Liezel

Hi @hayleycruise,

The Weleda Skin Food is our most versatile product!

I use it as my facial day and night cream in winter. My fine, dry skin soaks it up in about 5 minutes, and I love the dewy glow that it gives me. If you find it too rich as an everyday cream, then I recommend to use it as a weekly hydrating facial mask, your skin will thank you!

I also use Skin Food on my lips, hands, elbows and feet. It’s nice to massage it into my feet and hands and then put socks and gloves on for about ½ hour to allow for maximum absorption.

And Skin Food is also my must-have product when my skin is exposed to harsh conditions like long haul flights and hiking in the mountains.

You can also mix Skin Food with a little body oil, like our Baby Calendula Body Oil, and apply it to your arms and legs and other dry spots.

I would love to recommend you some other products in our Weleda range, we have a treasure chest full of facial care, body care, oral care, hair care and even natural medicine products. Was there any particular type of product that you were interested in? :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
Liezel

Hi @JFenton!

Congratulations, what a very special time for you! :hugs:

If you are loving the Evening Primrose Body Oil then I recommend that you continue using it. Both the Evening Primrose Body Oil and the Stretch Mark Massage Oil contain Vitamin E-rich wheat germ oil that will help support your expanding skin. The Evening Primrose Body Oil also contain other valuable oils that will keep your skin looking firm and hydrated.

Some women can experience a heightened sense of smell during pregnancy, and that’s the reason why we keep the formula of the Stretch Mark Massage Oil quite simple, with a very gentle natural fragrance.

The Nipple Care Cream prepare the nipples for breast-feeding by the toning and conditioning actions of astringents like horsetail and nettle. It’s also important to soften and hydrate the nipples with moisturising ingredients like aloe vera, marshmallow and plant oils.

Once you start breastfeeding, you may experience tender and cracked nipples, and the ingredients that I have mentioned above plus calendula, chamomile and beeswax will help to soothe, heal and protect your skin.

After feeding, gently pat the skin dry or allow the breast to air, then apply a small amount of cream to the nipple and areola. Our Weleda Nipple Care Cream does not need to be removed before breastfeeding.

The latest recommendations are to start moisturising your baby by week 4. And the good news is that at least 2 randomised controlled trials have shown a 30-50% reduction in the risk of developing eczema in high-risk babies when their whole bodies were moisturised once a day from week 4 until 6 months old!

Warm wishes,
Liezel

Thank you so much Liesel!
You have put my mind at ease about moisturising my baby and given me some great advice,! I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me x

Hi @cherie,

What a great question, thanks! :slight_smile:

Yes, lanolin is a potent ingredient in our Skin Food, its hydrating qualities are above and beyond almost anything else!

Lanolin started getting a bad reputation after a 1950’s New York University Hospital study showed that 1% of patients with skin diseases had allergic reactions to lanolin. Unfortunately, these results became misquoted as 1% of the whole American population who had mostly healthy skin. In other words, the allergic potential of lanolin was vastly exaggerated.

There have also been concerns about pesticides and other environmental pollutants in the past, however, these days there are stringent standards for the purity of lanolin in skin care products with the European Pharmacopoeia having the most stringent standards. Weleda only uses ultra-pure hypoallergenic lanolin in our products. In fact, Weleda has very stringent test procedures for all our ingredients and finished products.

Lanolin (or wool fat) is structurally and chemically very similar to the human skin lipids that help to slow down water loss from the skin. Lanolin has this unique ability to hold onto water, creating a secondary “reservoir” in the skin, meaning that the skin will stay hydrated for an extended period of time. And that’s why we use it in our skincare products for very dry skin, there’s nothing else quite like it!

Dear @sharondalgleish,

I’m sorry to hear about your health troubles. The fact that you have always had very dry skin, suggests to me that it is probably a genetic issue. Often there is a mutation in the fillagren gene (FLG) which means there is a skin barrier dysfunction and the skin loses moisture more rapidly than normal skin. Yes, the Tamoxifen could be indirectly contributing if it causes early menopause which results in dry skin for many women. Also, as we get older, all our skin functions slow down, meaning that we don’t produce as much sebum as before. So in general, the skin gets drier with every year of life after our teens.

As a side note, other conditions like hypothyroidism causes dry skin, so if you haven’t had a general health check and blood tests done recently by your GP, I encourage you to do so.

I’m so glad to hear that our Wild Rose and Pomegranate body oils and lotions are working for you! :slight_smile: And yes, you are applying them the right way around – body oil first on damp skin and then the body lotion on top will help the oil to soak in deeper into the skin.

Have you tried our Evening Primrose range yet? I find this range very hydrating and we have developed it specifically for dry skin. Skin Food is of course my best recommendation for very dry skin, especially rough patches and hands and feet. You can also mix it with a body oil if you want to spread it on your arms and legs. It contains hypoallergenic lanolin which creates a secondary “reservoir” in the skin resulting in long lasting hydration. And our White Mallow Body Lotion for children with eczema also comes to mind, it’s super hydrating and we’ve had great customer feedback on this product.

You could also try dry skin brushing to help rid the skin of dead skin cells thus helping your products to penetrate the skin better. Use a soft brush and always brush towards the heart to assist lymphatic circulation. Brush on dry skin before you get into the shower.

Other than moisturising your skin, it is really important to protect skin barrier and try and avoid activities that will remove your skin oils and dry it out. I’m going give you the same tips that I gave to Christine and Janine earlier, and also add another one, probably a bit controversial: perhaps don’t wash your whole body every day, especially in winter. Because every time your skin comes into contact with water your fragile skin barrier will be disrupted.

Tips for protecting your skin barrier during your cleansing routine:

• Use a very gentle, replenishing body wash like the Weleda Sensitive Skin Body Wash
  • Install a water filter in your shower/bath tap to filter out chlorine and other impurities
  • Use luke-warm water (never hot)
  • Apply body oil to the parts of your skin that gets dry (e.g. outside of arms and legs) before you get into the shower or bath
  • After you have cleansed and towel-dried your skin, apply your moisturiser while your skin is still damp

Warm wishes,
Liezel

Wow! Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I will try all your suggestions!
Sharon

Hi @jennamcdonnell,

Do you mean you have hyperpigmentation marks on your skin? If so, Weleda doesn’t currently range a product that directly addresses pigmentation issues. I suffer from hyper pigmentation myself, so I know how frustrating this condition can be.

The most effective and researched ingredient to help with hyper pigmentation is hydroquinone. There has been negative press about this ingredient, however I think its side effects and safety issues have been exaggerated.

There are plant extracts that break down into hydroquinone when absorbed into the skin, so look out for natural brands that contain arbutin extracted from bearberry (Uva ursi), pear or blueberries. Other natural sources of hydroquinone are mulberry, white mulberry, paper mulberry and madder (Mitracarpus scaber) extracts. However, I can’t comment on the efficacy of these natural sources of hydroquinone. Most of the evidence on efficacy is for high potency synthetic hydroquinone.

The most important thing you can do for hyper pigmentation is to protect your skin from the sun. Wear sunblock every day and check the UV index before you spend extended periods of time in the sun.

By “hormonal skin” do you mean pimples around the chin area before and during your menstrual cycle? If so, Weleda has a fantastic product for this called Aknedoron Purifying Lotion. It’s a spot treatment for spots and contains strongly anti-bacterial thyme, calendula and lemon extracts. We get great customer feedback on this product.

Dietary factors to consider for hormonal pimples are excess diary, sugar and omega-6 fatty acid (e.g. most seed oils) consumption.

We have beautiful serums and moisturisers in our Pomegranate Firming and Evening Primrose Age Revitalising ranges that have been proven to strengthen, renew, firm and hydrate the skin, however, as I said before, doesn’t contain the specific proven ingredients needed for skin lightening and that’s why we won’t make those claims.

Jenna, if you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask me.

Warm regards,
Liezel

Hi @snehamathias,

Yes, Weleda has a truly natural and ethical skincare range. :blush:

I recommend using our Almond Sensitive Skin Hand Cream after you have washed your hands. Is that possible at all, or are you not allowed to apply products to your hands after washing?

The reason why I recommend using the Almond Sensitive Skin Hand Cream during your working hours, is because it’s not greasy, will soak into your skin quickly and allow you to continue with your work. It is also specifically formulated for irritated skin with just a touch of almond essential oil.

When you get a chance to relax at home, then I recommend you massage your hands with a generous helping of Skin Food. It may take a while to soak in, so sit back and relax with a cup of tea. Even better, put on some cotton gloves after you have applied the Skin Food to allow for proper absorption. :wink: The protective and hydrating effects of Skin Food will build up over a few days and it should be able to help with your skin irritation over the long term.

Warm regards,
Liezel

Hi @cassandramartin,

I’ve been talking a lot about Skin Food in the last couple of days and I think that this product may help your issue too!

Apply Skin Food to the dry areas of your face, but not on your oily T-zone. Then apply your foundation over the top for a smoother coverage. Personally, I don’t usually wait for the Skin Food to absorb before I put my foundation on, that way the foundation and Skin Food blends a bit. You may have to experiment with the time interval between applying Skin Food as your primer and then applying your foundation.

Skin Food will also help to relief the psoriasis flare-up around your hairline. Just be careful to not get it in your hair, it’s quite greasy! :wink:

PS – many professional make-up artists use Skin Food as a primer in fashion shoots which has contributed to its cult status. I hope it works for you too! :blush:

Warm regards,
Liezel

Hi @Keikokarpet,

Keratosis pilaris is usually (but not always) the result of a very dry skin, so it’s important to hydrate the skin in order for the skin to look and feel better. I’m assuming the keratosis pilaris is on your daughter’s limbs?

My first recommendation would be our White Mallow Body Lotion which is specifically formulated for babies and children with dry, sensitive and eczema-type skin. This product will also help relieve any itching. I would describe the consistency as medium. Another option is the Almond Sensitive Skin Body Lotion which has a lighter consistency.

I also recommend very gentle exfoliation to help the skin get rid of the excess dead skin cells. We have a very gentle Birch Body Scrub made from plant wax beads. Use this about 3 times a week. You could also try dry skin brushing. Use a soft brush and always brush towards the heart to assist lymphatic circulation. Brush on dry skin before she gets into the shower.

It is also really important to protect her skin from drying out during her showers and baths. I’m going give you the same tips that I gave to Christine and Janine earlier:

• Use luke-warm water (never hot) and
  • After she has cleansed and towel-dried her skin, she should apply her moisturiser while her skin is still damp

Warm wishes,
Liezel

Hi Liezel
Thanks for your response!
I’m looking forward to trying out Skin Food :blush::heartpulse:
Thanks
Cass