The "No Poo" Movement

The "No Poo" Movement
0.0 0

Has anyone tried doing the No Poo Hair care (not using shampoo) ? If so what is/was your experience?

I am interested in trying it as I think it would be beneficial. However I am worried about the transition period as I don’t want my hair to look super oily.

I have been researching and apparently you can use bicarb soda as a replacement for shampoo as it doesn’t strip the hair and it doesn’t change the pH level of your hair/scalp. You can also apparently use apple cider vinegar as a conditioner.

So i think I am going to try decrease how often i wash my hair (it’s currently 2 or 3 times a week) and then when I feel that it is too oily for my liking use bicarb soda and the apple cider vinegar as a replacement for shampoo + conditioner. Of course with the aim to get my hair oil production back to normal. So even when using bicarb and the ACV i will be trying to extend the amount of time between washes. Hoepfully I will eventually get to zero.

Let me know your thoughts, I would love to hear them

I’m not sure I could ever do no washing at all, but I certainly have cut back the amount of times I wash my hair each week. I used to wash my hair every day and I had super oily hair… it was a cycle of feeling like it was oily and then washing it and that made it even worse.

It took a couple of months of wearing it tied back and a lot of dry shampoo but now I wash it roughly every 3-4 days in summer and every 4-5 days in winter. It differs depending on exercise, weather and diary commitments, but I absolutely find my hair is much healthier (and I lose less of it) now that I wash less frequently.

@sarahmcdonald I had to re-read your first line 3 times before I figured out what you meant by “No Poo” :joy:!

I’ve heard about this a lot but just don’t know if I can bring myself to go through the grease stage. I’ve heard rinsing with Apple Cider Vinegar is good! Does using dry shampoo during the “no poo” period count?