This Is Why You Need To Get Into Skin Needling

This Is Why You Need To Get Into Skin Needling

Originally published at: https://www.adorebeauty.com.au/beautyiq/need-get-skin-needling/

I am so excited that skin needling is now accessible to everyday skincare enthusiasts. Having come from a plastic surgery and skin clinic background, I saw the benefits of in-clinic needling first hand, before take home options were widely available. Yes, it’s a lot more full on than what you can do yourself at home (think Vampire Facial), but it’s oh-so-effective.

When we brought in Skinstitut’s Skin-Inject DNC Derma Roller 0.25mm, I was first to add this little skin-renewing tool to my routine.

What Is Skin Needling?

Also known as microneedling, dermarolling or collagen induction therapy - skin needling (as I like to simply refer to it), is a process that comes with multi-faceted anti-ageing and rejuvenation benefits.

Skin needling works by very lightly puncturing the surface of the skin to encourage collagen formulation and elastin production through the skin’s natural healing process. This also allows active topical ingredients like retinol to better penetrate the skin, giving you enhanced anti-ageing results.

What Sort Of Results Can You Expect?

Through the skin needling process, you can target concerns like fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone and scarring, as well as improving skin texture overall. It's also a great treatment for minimising the appearance of acne, enlarged pores, blackheads, sun damage and pigmentation.  

What You Need To Know About The Tool:

- This roller is an easy to use at-home needling system you can operate yourself
  • The 0.25mm roller features 600 surgical-grade stainless steel micro needles

• It’s designed to help promote the skin’s own regeneration process

• Results in visible skin rejuvenation

• It’s a reusable tool you can pair with your existing skincare routine

• Can be easily sanitised for continued use

Buy here

How Do You Do It?

Using a tool like Skin-Inject DNC Derma Roller (which features hundreds of very fine surgical steel needles attached to the roller mechanism), you manually apply it directly to the skin in a crisscross motion over the whole face in what we call 'passes'. It can also be used on specific areas like scars and stretch marks. Rolling Technique:

Being careful not to be too heavy-handed, roll in back and forth motion over small sections of skin at a time in a horizontal fashion. Repeat this process in a vertical pattern.

1. Cleanse the skin thoroughly and pat dry

2. Apply a correcting or anti-ageing serum first for more sensitised skin

3. For more active delivery, follow the rolling technique by applying your serum

4. Follow with your preferred moisturiser

5. Clean your roller after each use with an alcohol based disinfectant*

How often?

You can use your skin needling tool daily, weekly, monthly - whatever you prefer - I use mine weekly as maintenance. When you first start off, you’ll need to build up your skin’s tolerance to avoid sensitivity, so start off gradually, maybe once a week and increase your usage from there. If you find you skin is becoming sensitive, just ease off and allow it to recover before you recommence needling, or opt for a gentler serum.

I recommend pairing your skin needling treatment with a serum that is designed to target your concerns. For ageing and acne-prone skin, opt for a Vitamin A serum, or for brightening and rejuvenating, a Vitamin B or C serum is the way to go. Boost your hydration levels by pairing your treatment with a Hyaluronic Acid serum.

*Grab rubbing alcohol like ethanol or isopropyl alcohol from your chemist and use it in a spray bottle.

Buy Skin-Inject DNC Derma Roller 0.25mm here

Hey Jo!
Awesome post!! Skin Needling honestly sounds like the Holy Grail of Anti-Aging! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
Just to check, do you apply your Serum before or after you Needle your skin?
Thanks again for putting this up! Such a fab read!
Esther x

Hi Esther!

That depends on your skin type - for more sensitised skin, apply your serum before needling, and for a more intense effect, apply your serum afterwards. If you tend to be sensitive, I’d opt for a gentler serum like a HA which is more for hydration, as opposed to a retinol which is great for anti-ageing, pigmentation and acne-related concerns.

Hope that helps!

Good morning Joanna,
Thanks for the reply! :slight_smile:
Skin Needling sounds so amazing!
Is there a 'maximum amount of time/number of months’ you should needle for before giving your skin a break?
For example, 12 Months of Needling Twice Per Week then rest your skin for a few months?
Thanks again you are a gem!
Esther xx

Hi Esther,

That’s a great question - there’s no indication that the skin needs to be ‘rested’ after needling for a certain amount of time. With at-home devices that are 0.2-0.25 density, you’re only causing quite superficial puncturing of the skin, therefore ongoing usage shouldn’t cause you any issues. This may differ if you’re having microneedling performed in-clinic, so you’d need to check with your dermal clinician what they recommend. For at-home needling, I’d encourage you to listen to your skin, if you’re experiencing sensitivity, pull back from using your roller - and if you’re seeing great ongoing results, continue!

Hope that answers your question!

Sounds fab Joanna :slight_smile: :heart_eyes:
I think I will go, Skin Needling, ASPECT Extreme B17 then apply a few drops of HYLAMIDE HA Booster over the top of the B17 xoxo
Thanks again and hope you are having a good week :slight_smile: