What do you take travelling?

What do you take travelling?

Hi everyone!

It is a long way away, but i am planning a grand 8 month trip to three continents, and i am curious as to what everyone would recommend taking on such a trip. Luggage space is small as i will be backpacking most of the time but i also know i will be going to parties and meeting people etc. South America and Europe mostly, in all weather conditions. Sure, i could just bring moisturiser and sunscreen, but i still want to look lovely for when i meet people.

So, the question is: What would you take (and make this the absolute basics) on such a trip?

Cheers!
Aisha

I have done a couple of trips where the weather really varied. One from Hawaii (34 degrees) and on to London (3 degrees!) and Hong Kong (28) to Beijing (minus 2!!).

As far as skin care goes, you need to allow for these changes and it would really depend on how your skin reacts to the extremes. I wouldnt pack too much as you can buy overseas (half the fun) and need not be too expensive so you can toss for the way home.
Multi-purpose products and trying to pair down any elaborate make up applications (you wont have time anyway!) is also key.

Now, just finding room for all those layers in your suitcase and remember whatever the weather, always carry your jacket on board (trains planes etc), less to stuff in your suitcase and you never know when you will need it. (Ok, this is where you say, “yes mum”!):chuckle:

I would seek out some travel size products of what you are already using. Tried & tested is best when you are away from home I find.
Aside from your usual products, an exfoliant really revives the skin after too much heat/smog/sunscreen/smoke etc.
Pack double duty products like a body lotion with shimmer you can use to highlight areas of your face too. Use sunscreen as a paste for moulding your hair. Mix water on a fine brush to turn your eyeshadow into eyeliner. Fill in your lips with lipliner & blend with lipgloss for a lipstick finish.
Shower gel instead of soap. Baby wipes in your daypack will save you 100 times over.

Aisha we recently got back from a long trip to Japan, UK and the USA. The weather was all over the shop, especially in Japan. Would recommend you take your regular skincare routine if you can, this might help stabilise any changes; or just a basic, very gentle cleanser. In terms of makeup I took a really small bag with a great concealer, highlighter to double as eyeshadow, mascara, cream blush and a couple of lip glosses. I bought a fair bit to add to this when O/S.

My packing tip - be ruthless! I was worried I wouldn’t have enough but I still didn’t wear everything I bought with me. Also one of the best things I took was a set of mesh bags of different sizes - I used one for shoes, one for ‘delicates’ and the other for laundry.

PS if you’re a bit of a hygiene freak like me I recommend you take a small bottle of liquid sanitiser or handy-wipes. We used them almost every day. Very handy (hence the name!)

Have a fabulous, fabulous time!:waving:

I don’t have much makeup for everyday at home or skincare either I just don’t have the space or the budget to allow for a multitude of products.

Skincare a cleanser, moisturiser and a suncreen. Take a body moisturiser something that is really going to nourish your skin all climates. Take Pawpaw ointment if you like acts as a balm, good for cuts all purpose remmedy. Makeup - mascara, a lipgloss and I’d say takea good quality shampoo and conditioner.

I realise you maybe be on a budget but if you get the time and save a little spare cash consider booking into a nice hotel beautician and get a facial to revive and a bit of pampering that could get you through the next couple of months … and then repeat again when you feel you need some skin time out! …

Skincare a cleanser, moisturiser and a suncreen. Lip balm/gloss and get your lashes tinted. A couple of multi purpose products like vegesorb (sorbolene) and lucas’ pawpaw ointment are great!.

I realise you maybe be on a budget but if you get the time and save a little spare cash consider booking into a nice hotel and seeing their beautician and get a facial to revive and a bit of pampering that could get you through the next couple of months … and then repeat again when you feel you need some skin time out! …

Lip balm, sunscreen and travel sized skincare. Ditto the hair care. Most times you can buy stuff while you travel, but it’s handy to have the old faithfuls as a standby.

Makeup - if you MUST take it, go the absolute basics, and wherever possible, get multi-tasking products - the balm’s Hot Mama can be used on face, eyes and lips as a f’rinstance.

As RB said, be ruthless when packing. You can wash stuff out when you stop, there is no point weighing yourself down.

When on the plane/train/whatever transport, make sure you have a jacket and warm socks in your bag, and a change of undies in your carryon, this saved me in Hawaii, when our luggage got redirected. I managed with the same shirt/shorts, but wouldn’t have coped without fresh underthings.

Handywipes are an essential, as are tissues - and no, you won’t always find these.

I always take little sachets of laundry detergent and wash things in the hotel sink!! You can pack SO lightly if you’re prepared to wash undies and t-shirts in the hotel bathroom every third night or so. You can then just wring out the items and hang them around the room (over the backs of chairs etc) and they’re always dry by the morning because of the airconditioning. Even if you don’t want to pack detergent (although it’s really easy - 2 Peas in a Pod make laundry travel sachets http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/viewItem.asp?idproduct=363 or you could just pack some powder in a ziplock bag) you can pour some shower gel (use the cheap crappy hotel one!) into the sink to make hot soapy water. Shower gel is designed to emulsify and lift oil off the skin so it will do a pretty decent job of lifting your body’s dirt off your clothes.

As for makeup (since I just realised this is a makeup thread LOL) it would depend on what activities I was planning, but if it was your run-of-the-mill holiday (eg no special occasions or events to attend) I’d pack:

• Moisturiser
  • Brow powder
  • Mascara
  • Bronzer (or blush in winter)
  • Eyeliner (not to wear every day but if the need for a bit of definition strikes)
  • Lip balm and gloss.

If your skin is good and your brows are tidy and defined, you can get away with minimal makeup and still look polished. Yay!

[QUOTE=aishy;4413]Hi everyone!

It is a long way away, but i am planning a grand 8 month trip to three continents, and i am curious as to what everyone would recommend taking on such a trip. Luggage space is small as i will be backpacking most of the time but i also know i will be going to parties and meeting people etc. South America and Europe mostly, in all weather conditions. Sure, i could just bring moisturiser and sunscreen, but i still want to look lovely for when i meet people.

So, the question is: What would you take (and make this the absolute basics) on such a trip?

Cheers!
Aisha[/QUOTE]

Wow!! 8 month trip!! that’s fantastic :clapping::clapping:

Aishy I just realised that my previous post completely disregarded your first post!! :redcheeks: My bad!!

OK well if you can wear them, I’d pack one or two maxi dresses - you can dress them down with thongs for day but dress them up with jewellery and heels for night. You can still keep your makeup way simple as long as you LOOK AFTER YOUR SKIN and keep it healthy and glowing!! I’d go with simple tinted moisturiser, groomed and filled in eyebrows, mascara, bronzer and gloss. Add some smudgy black eyeliner for night! Done! So easy you don’t even have to think about it! And if you happen to pick up some beautiful coloured eyeliners or glosses or blushes on your trip, you can add those in too for some extra fun and interest.

When I travel Overseas I take mini travel sized essential products like shampoo, conditioner and skin care.

I only allow myself one makeup item from each category for example:

1 Mascara
1 eyeshadow
1lip gloss etc etc

Take Lip Balm and Sunscreen as these really are most essential in all climates. It’s also nice to have a refreshing facial spray to freshen you up inextremely hot temperatures or on a flight. You can but these in mini sizes at Priceline.

Remember to pack hair bands if your hair is long as there is nothing worse than having hair stuck to your sweaty face.

Just get some face wipes to take to freshen up and to remove makeup.

The one thing I can’t travel without is my Ipod. It is so handy to have. On my last trip overseas I couldn’t get use to the noisy area which my hotel was located in. I was awake at 2am listening to all the traffic and drunk people on the streets. I decided to put my ipod on and found this so useful for the rest of my stay. No more being kept awake by the noise.

I don’t have an ipod. I’m all about bringing my gameboy. :redcheeks:

[QUOTE=pinkcupcake;58021]

Just get some face wipes to take to freshen up and to remove makeup.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering - does anyone know of a brand that makes individually wrapped facial wipes? I take the small packs of 15 with me but I would love some individual ones to chuck in my carry-on. I have asked at heaps of places and checked out a number of websites but have had no luck as yet. :yawn:

Hmmmm individual wrapped wipes? Can’t say I’ve never seen these dodts. I’ve just seen the standard 15-20 wipe ones.

archived #15