What To Do To Your Hair Before Dying It! Want to cover your greys without making them so brittle?! Here is what I do :)

hair
What To Do To Your Hair Before Dying It! Want to cover your greys without making them so brittle?! Here is what I do :)
0.0 0

I heard that applying coconut oil to your hair before dying it works like Olaplex, lessening the damage that the dye has on your hair, and just like with Olaplex you leave the dye on for about ten minutes longer, so I hear. I thought I would give it a go. What I did was I applied coconut oil to my hair before bed, giving it extra time to nourish my hair, then in the morning I applied the dye. I washed it out after 50 minutes and the end result was wonderful. I only applied the dye it to my routs due to the fact that I was covering up my greys, reason being that I had to leave the dye on for 50 minutes, so that it did dye over those stubborn hairs. Dying over greys makes them so brittle, greys are so much more delicate than melanin rich hair, and I am finding that doing this is my hair saviour :). My hair is now flawless each time I do this.

What do you think? Have you heard about this or tried it?

xx

I’ve definitely heard of coconut oil for hydrating your hair @jaclynberuldsen. I don’t have greys so haven’t had to use it for this reason though. What I want to know is - doesn’t your hair feel super greasy after doing this? How do you get the greasiness from the oil out?

Hi Christine,

from what I have heard coconut oil doesn’t go well with some people’s hair. For instance, I recommended to a friend that she should try coconut oil as a hair treatment as I like to do, however the end result for her wasn’t great and she said that she had to wash it over and over again. I was surprised and then heard that that happens for some. I have thin hair, she has thick hair, maybe that makes for different results? For myself however, I hop in the shower and I keep my head under warm/hot running water for a couple of minutes while massaging my hair, loosening it, allowing the oil to run off. After I have done that then I wash it using a generous amount of shampoo, and I always finish off with cold water and then let it dry naturally for best results. So to answer you question :slight_smile: no I don’t, I actually find that the process allows me an extra day or two from washing it. I am curious if you have thick hair like my friend, because then maybe we are on to something? Let me know what you think :),

Warm Regards,

Jaclyn

@jaclynberuldsen, do you have any suggestions for thick hair?? Because mine is thick and curly hair.

@vaishaliyadav I also have thick and naturally curly hair. I have to confess I just deal with it by straightening it every time I wash it. I do use a little bit of Moroccan Oil to smooth it out though which also smells lovely!

Don’t you think straightening your hair after each wash will damage your hair?? Because i do straightening occasionally but each time i did i can sense the dryness and i feel sorry for damaging my hair.

@vaishaliyadav it’s definitely not great for my hair! I usually wash my hair twice a week so I’m not straightening every day but I’m just so used to it now that I prefer to straighten.

As I have never had to manage thick curly hair I don’t sorry, However my Aunt has the thickest hair I have ever seen and it use to drive her crazy, until she grew it very long and now each night she plats it and lets it out during the day. She did say that she uses a natural shampoo and conditioner from the health food store and it had coconut oil it. :slight_smile: Good luck with your gorgeous hair!

Hey @jaclynberuldsen… does the plat leave her hair in a big platty wave afterwards or do her natural curls take over after she’s let it out? I tried the plat thing for a while but didn’t like the way it manipulated the shape of my hair.

I am not sure on all the chemistry of it. But I have had my hair dresser tell me that coconut oil doesnt have small enough particles to penetrate into your hair. It just creates a layer over the hair, giving it the feeling of being smooth.
Products like pantene, sunsilk, morrocanoil, OGX argan oil ect. use silocons and oils to create feeling of smooth repaired hair.
Keratene Opalex, Cureplex, BioSilk ect. contain proteins which repair bonds. Proteins penetrate into the hair follicles which open during colouring process.

Again I am not a hairdresser, this is just info I have been told.

Until I stopped colouring my hair last year, I would do deep conditioning treatments using my normal conditioner and olive oil mixed together on a 1:1 ratio prior to toddling off to the hairdressers.

Just in relation to some of the other bits and pieces that have made it into the thread…(sorry couldn’t help myself…lol)

Some people find coconut oil fantastic for their hair as it is great at holding protein in the hair. Your hair naturally loses protein (this varies from person to person) so it can mimic a bonding agent. Keratins, and other ‘repairing’ treatments/shampoos etc replace the naturally lost protein - people can become ‘over proteined’ as well (feels like straw).

Olaplex is a different animal again and is a ‘bonding’ agent. This is the explanation they give on their website:

Olaplex works by finding single sulfur hydrogen bonds and cross linking them back together to form disulfide bonds before, during and after services. Disulfide bonds are broken via chemical, thermal, and mechanical processes.

The Sciencey Hair Blog has great information - she is a chemist and really knows her stuff. If you’re like me and want to know the ‘how’ of your hair products work and why - you can’t go past this blog.

không biết có tốt không nhỉ?

Gret link @tinamiller thanks for info! Will sit and have a read with a cocktail this weekend!

Enjoy! Also check out the comments sections of her posts she gives amazingly detailed answers to queries.