Would you spend $12 to try the foundation with a 25,000 person waitlist?

Would you spend $12 to try the foundation with a 25,000 person waitlist?
0.0 0

Originally published at: https://www.adorebeauty.com.au/beautyiq/spend-12-try-foundation-25000-person-waitlist/

Unless you’ve been living under a rock recently, you’ve probably heard the buzz surrounding The Ordinary’s Colours foundations. The coverage and serum formulas have finally landed at Adore Beauty after a worldwide shortage due to (very) unprecedented demand. But what’s so good about these foundations that warranted such a long waitlist?

Well, for starters, the two formulas are priced between $12.50-$12.70 (I’ve nearly spent more than that on a coffee), and let’s be honest - the worldwide hype was enough to make anyone want to try them.

A post shared by THE ABNORMAL BEAUTY COMPANY (@deciem) on May 1, 2017 at 2:33pm PDT

My Verdict:

Johnny from Deciem used both the foundations on me recently, and personally colour matched me as well. The shade range is actually more important to me than the price. I think that's what really sets this range apart from anything else. The shade range is diverse, from very fair to very deep, and allows you to select undertones like pink, neutral and yellow, so you really can find the perfect match for you skin.

I couldn’t fault either of the formulas to be honest with you. They’re both ideal for anyone in the market for a light-medium coverage foundation. If I had to choose a favourite, it’d probably be the Serum Foundation. Thanks to a perfect shade match, the foundation blended seamlessly with my skin - it covered any little imperfections and evened out my skin tone, giving it a natural-looking, glowing finish.

Shop here

Small-Test
gif via Allure

So, what does everyone in the industry think?

On the shade range:

“As far as cheap beauty thrills go, this is cheaper than most drugstore foundations and comes in way more shades than many drugstore foundations as well — not a bad deal!” - Allure.com

On the performance and coverage:

“You can’t really go far wrong with those prices – light, easily transportable packaging, SPF15 and (in the Coverage, at least) a high concentration of pigment that means a little product goes a long way.” - A Model Recommends

Coverage-Before-After
Coverage Foundation Before & After
Which formula should I try?

“The Serum Foundation lives up to its name with a serum-like texture that’s lightweight but can be built up for medium coverage. The Coverage Foundation is a pigment-rich, non-oily cream that offers more coverage without getting cakey.” - InStyle

Serum-Before-After
Serum Foundation Before & After
Who is it suitable for?

“Good for: those who prefer light-weight coverage and letting their skin breathe all day long.” - Vogue.com.au

“With its medium coverage, semi-matte finish, and unique sensation of wearing no makeup at all, the Serum Foundation is everything a person who doesn’t particularly like foundation could want out of one.” - Refinery29

Shop Coverage | Shop Serum

The Adore Beauty verdict:

We aren't exempt from getting caught up in the hype - we had to try them too.

★★★★★ Really Enjoyed This Foundation! - Olivia

"I am the type to stick with one foundation once I am happy, however I tried this and I was extremely surprised with the coverage. It's designed for medium buildable coverage - I only had to use a small amount and my skin had an amazing glow with amazing coverage. It wasn't cakey or sticky on my skin. I suffer from combination skin and can find foundations move by the end of the day but this one held in place really well."

★★★★★ So good! - Louise

"I was really excited to try this foundation and the results are exactly what I imaged - the coverage is perfect for me, it gives enough coverage to hide any imperfections yet doesn’t look caked at all on the skin or too heavy. It is easily blended and I prefer applying it with a beauty blender or gently patting it into the skin with a flat top brush. I like to switch between the serum and the coverage foundation when I feel I need a little extra coverage for a night out."

★★★★★ Must try! - Freckleface

"This is a great everyday lightweight foundation with buildable coverage. It has a beautiful soft matte finish on the skin. I also love that they have a wide colour range to choose from and they're so affordable :)"

★★★★★ Great Foundation! - Courtney

"This is the perfect foundation for everyday! I don't like a lot of coverage so this foundation is great for me! It glides on smoothly and gives my skin a healthy glow! I add a translucent powder on top for the areas I get shiny! It is definitely worth a try- especially at this incredible price point!"

Shop The Ordinary Colours Here

I found the colours the hardest to choose. I chose a medium yellow which I thought would suit me but it was too dark and too yellow and the light medium shades look too light. Even though the foundation is cheap I don’t want to be left with too many unwanted bottles! Since no-one has mentioned the colours I suppose I am the only one who had this problem?

@yvebuttenshaw I’d highly recommend looking at colour swatches online before purchasing - that way you can compare undertones on the skin before you buy. Just google The Ordinary Colours foundation swatches.

Thank you for your reply; I still found it difficult to tell which colour would be best for me but thank you for your interest.