Wrinkle creams and anti aging.. is there any point?

Wrinkle creams and anti aging.. is there any point?

Hi I guess what I am asking is do they actually work?

A bit of background, I have never used anti wrinkle creams and have not been 100% good with my skin care or solar care over the years, and at 32 am not really surprised to see a lot of under eye lines and laugh lines and crows feet etc.

So are there creams or syrums that can help to hide these wrinkles now? I am finding my foundation just sits on the creases and really accentuates them too.

Any help much appreciated!!

Alison

Hi Alison! There sure is a point. :slight_smile:

I would recommend you use a vitamin C product under your moisturiser in the morning (ie Ole Henriksen Truth Serum)

You want your moisturiser to contain SPF30 to protect your skin from the sun, which is the most ageing factor out there! I recommend the Ultraceuticals Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF30.

Vitamin A is also wonderful for ageing, and this is best used at night as it can increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun. My top pick is the Alpha-H Age Delay, which is the perfect night cream.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions!

Hi Alison, similar age with yourself, I can’t agree more with the frustration. Hence, there are a few points need attention:
good mood, sleep well, avoid sun (or put on sun block), drink enough water, balanced diet. Easy said than done, of course. Small efforts help… you can read my blogs for some tips I shared over time… :slight_smile: I myself don’t mind some surgery when I feel the real need, but I do prefer natural ways than anything else. :chuckle:

Hydrate, water and water, watch her sodium intake and avoid sugar, do this for 3 days and you will look 5 yrs younger.

Don’t sunbake.:shakehead:

My question is, what age should you start an anit wrinke / anti aging regime?
I just turned 28 and never really included anything like that in my regime before and have no idea when i should start!

i started when i was about 27 i think. i guess the earlier u use it to prevent the better

I would say up until your early 20s as long as you make sure you use adequate sun protection and cleanse, exfoliate and hydrate your skin you’d be fine. I would look at amping up your routine around the age you are now by looking at introducing some actives into your routine now to speed up cell turnover to reveal fresher, glowing skin. But definitely don’t overdo it with overly rich products which will only clog your skin up.

Wrinkle creams and anti aging… is there any point?

I agree and think that there is no such thing as too early for using sunscreen, and products with vitamins and antioxidants.

And finding a great but gentle cleanser suited to your skintype is important too.

Good quality works wonders

Good quality skin care works wonders. There are miracles in jars. Just be savvy in picking good stuff. Not all the Xy ones are necessarily as good as cheaper ones though. Be careful:rollthoseeyes:

some massage will be great too! :clapping:

My friend has premature wrinkles from years in the sun & after she came from a recent trip from overseas I noticed her skin looked much better. I thought maybe i just forgot how bad it really was. After a few weeks she told me she bought a product at duty free called La Prairie - Anti-Aging Stress Cream. It’s very expensive yet I can confidently say that her skin really did look much tighter & much younger.

The ingredients that show the most consistant results are retinol, Retin-A, vitamin C, AHAs so a serum with a high enough concentration of those actives should produce results.

Vitamin C is awesome but very unstable in products, so it may be inactive by the time you purchase the product unless it has been stabilized by the addition of vitamin E and ferulic acid ie Skinceuticals C E ferulic, or you use it in waterless (anhydrous) form ie Cellex-C. At the moment I’m using a DIY 10% anhydrous C E serum that I make small batches of so I know it’s fresh.

Sunscreen is probably the most important anti-aging skin care product but there is more to choosing an effective sunscreen than the SPF. If the sunscreen uses chemical filters often the sunscreen ingredients break down very quickly in the presence of UV light, and worse, releases free radicals into your skin. Look for something with zinc oxide (at least 10%) instead.

I’ve just posted an epic sunscreen post which goes through all of this.

I am learniing…

Anti aging products are to be used from early stages itself if it has to show results. Ideally you could start off using towards your late 20s, say 27.

The creams alone of course will not do the work. Make sure you have a salad comprising carrot, cucumber and lemon daily which supplements vitamin A, E and C!

Most dont as it doesnt actually penetrate the dermis, otherwise it would be classified as a drug. I do love how women still fall for these anti wrinkling creams just because the ad looks scientific with the people on them in white lab coats.

But hey they end up getting your money and women end up ‘feeling’ younger when they put on these creams, so whats the harm right?

Those creams which claim to be anti-ageing are usually only gimmicks and the “actives” they contain are in minimal dosages and only added for the advertising aspect so they can claim “Oh we have so and so in this so you’ll look 10 years younger” lol (forgive my lame attempt at advertising) Anyways the reason is most of these creams are very thick so it’s hard for it to penetrate the skin, these are only good for moisturising and forming a protective barrier. The only handful of useful and tried and true actives IMO are retinol and Vit C and A and in order for them to be effective they must come in a very liquidy serum form so there is no thick cream or barrier between it and your skin. Also AHAs and BHAs are good for chemically ecfoliating your skin and gets rid of the dead skin on to and clears pores. Hydration is important too and a good moisturiser is wonderful-I personally prefer moisturisers with hydrating oils like rosehip and sweet almond oil over parrafin or petro ones.

Sunscreen is a must!!! I like zinc based ones as I am easily irritated by chemical sun blockers like homoslate and oxybenzone.

[QUOTE=my funny valentine;444973]The ingredients that show the most consistant results are retinol, Retin-A, vitamin C, AHAs so a serum with a high enough concentration of those actives should produce results.

Vitamin C is awesome but very unstable in products, so it may be inactive by the time you purchase the product unless it has been stabilized by the addition of vitamin E and ferulic acid ie Skinceuticals C E ferulic, or you use it in waterless (anhydrous) form ie Cellex-C. At the moment I’m using a DIY 10% anhydrous C E serum that I make small batches of so I know it’s fresh.

Sunscreen is probably the most important anti-aging skin care product but there is more to choosing an effective sunscreen than the SPF. If the sunscreen uses chemical filters often the sunscreen ingredients break down very quickly in the presence of UV light, and worse, releases free radicals into your skin. Look for something with zinc oxide (at least 10%) instead.

I’ve just posted an epic sunscreen post which goes through all of this.[/QUOTE]

Is Vit C really that unstable? Hmmm does that mean Vit C serums like Ultraceuticals and ASAP Super C are not effective or not as effective as they can be?

I totally agree with what Celeste said. My skin is proof that it works. I’ve consistently used vit c, vit a, aha, moisturizers & serums that contain antioxidants and cell comunicating ingredients plus sunscreen and I always get told I look younger than my age. I have friends that are 7/ 8 years younger than me with lines and crows feet that I dont have.